Adhering to his conservative views, Lord turned to his personal blog on Twitter to reply to the head the non-governmental media organization Media Matters for America, Angelo Carrozone, with Nazi greetings.
In a written statement, a CNN spokesperson said, "Nazi salutes are indefensible". "Jeffrey Lord is no longer with the network".
In a later tweet, Lord said he was "mocking a fascist". "Why do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you don't take yourself seriously".
Carusone's name was misspelled in the headline, a fact which he pointed out to Lord, who responded with the "Sieg Heil!".
Lord's response was "Sieg Heil!"
In June, CNN fired documentary series host Reza Aslan over a profane tweet criticizing Trump.
The tweet caused a Twitter storm.
Jeffrey Zucker, president of CNN Worldwide, has defended the network's reliance on these figures.
Among his most famous exchanges was one with liberal CNN pundit Van Jones in March of past year over the history of the Ku Klux Klan.
He repeatedly told commenters that he was "mocking Nazis and Fascists".
"I love CNN", Lord said.
Lord has previously called the group "Media Matters Fascists".
But that doesn't stop people on the far-right from using them.
"I really do believe in free speech", he said. "That's what I'm mocking". CNN also parted ways with three senior editorial staffers after a recent article in which they were involved had to be retracted.
Retained by CNN in 2015, Lord was an indefatigable on-air supporter of Donald Trump throughout his candidacy and after his election.
- The Right Place for Drug Rehab
- Britney Spears Bum-Rushed Onstage 'He's Got a Gun?!'
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Trump's vacation message to McConnell: 'Get back to work'
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Giant inflatable chicken hangs out near White House lawn
- Chris Pratt, Anna Faris announce separation
- Overwatch Is Getting a Deathmatch Arcade Mode Along with a New Map
- Google CEO Pichai cancels 'town hall' on gender dispute
- Venezuela: Hunt for 'mercenaries' in rebellion against Maduro