Idrissa Gueye and Morgan Schneiderlin were signed a year ago, Ajax skipper Davy Klaassen arrived in the summer while homegrown talent Tom Davies has emerged as a player of real substance. While he has never been an out-and-out striker, his decline in pace and movement has obviously contributed to this.
"We have the experience of what we need to pay for players who came here and had one year of contract", Koeman told reporters.
The England striker started his senior player career with Everton before moving to Manchester United. "We brought some players in but we would like to bring some more in". That could all change though if Gylfi Sigurdsson pens his long-awaited transfer to the Blues. "It was not our best game but we had more shots on target, more chances".
Rooney, who was full of invention and energy throughout, rose well to meet a fine Dominic Calvert-Lewin cross with a looping header into the far corner on the stroke of half-time. We've just got to make sure we don't get wrapped up in that.
Mark Hughes has warned his Stoke side not to get dazzled in the spotlight of the Rooney show.
"On a personal level scoring the winning goal at Goodison Park is a special moment", Rooney said.
The decorated forward's goal was the only moment of note in a boring opening period. "We are looking forward to getting started".
The young striker swung in a ideal cross that found Rooney in a surprising amount of his space and the veteran used all his experience to send the ball back across the 'keeper to send Everton into the dressing room a goal to the good.
Happy to be home: Rooney.
- North Korea releases jailed Canadian pastor on humanitarian grounds
- Congress delegation visits BRD Medical College, leaders demand resignation of Health Minister
- Cowboys RB Elliott expected to be suspended
- Taylor Swift's 10 Most Powerful Statements From Her Sexual Assault Trial Cross-Examination
- Stocks rally, but end a bit lower
- Chris Pratt, Anna Faris announce separation
- Trump's vacation message to McConnell: 'Get back to work'
- Google CEO Pichai cancels 'town hall' on gender dispute
- Jeffrey Lord ousted from CNN for Nazi salute
- My wish is Khaqan remains PM till 2018, says Nawaz