On receiving the information about the accident, the Muzaffarnagar police and administrative officials have come to the rescue with relief teams on the spot. The incident took place around 5:40 pm.
Two dozen people including many women and children have been admitted to nearby medical facilities and hospitals and are undergoing treatment.
It is feared that some passengers might have been trapped under the bogies. "Have instructed senior officers to reach site immediately and ensure speedy rescue and relief operations".
The numbers are: 0131-2436918, 0131-2436103 and 0131- 2436564.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is reported to be monitoring the situation.
Earlier in the evening, he ordered an inquiry into the train derailment to ascertain its cause.
Meanwhile, President Ram Nath Kovind, too, tweeted about the tragedy and said that all help was being provided to the victims.
At least 10 passenger trains on the busy route were diverted following the accident, a Northern Railway release said. "Still monitoring situation closely", Prabhu tweeted.
- Union Minister of Railway Suresh Prabhu announced ex gratia of Rs 3.5 lakh for the next kin, Rs. 50, 000 for those seriously injured and Rs. 25, 000 for people with minor injuries. As of now, it's not clear how the accident happened.
Expressing his deep concern over the tragic incident he directed the commerce and transport department to work in coordination with the Railway department in rescue operation.
He also asked the chairman of the Railway Board to oversee the operations.
- Taylor Swift Social Media Accounts Go Dark
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Missouri Senator Makes Facebook Comment Hoping For President Trump To Be Assassinated
- Foot Locker's stock plunge drags Under Armour and Nike down with it
- Border after Brexit? UK keen to retain free flow with Ireland
- United Kingdom borders to stay open after Brexit
- Apple has a $1bn budget to find the next Game of Thrones
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason