Man drives through vigil held for transgender woman after police killed her

Friday, 25 Aug, 2017

At that rally, a driver accelerated his vehicle into a group of counter-protesters.

Police and witnesses offered differing accounts of what happened Wednesday night during a candlelight vigil and protest in honour of Kenny "Kiwi" Herring, who was fatally shot by officers Tuesday after allegedly stabbing one of them.

The driver reportedly honked the car's horn at the protesters in an attempt to continue driving as the protesters blocked traffic.

The driver hit three protesters who suffered minor injuries before fleeing from the scene, the Riverfront Times reports. Marchers Elizabeth Gombos and Keith Rose, however, told the paper the driver had his middle fingers raised and accelerated into the crowd.

Jackson said that the motorist was taken into custody, after initially refusing to stop for officers.

On Tuesday of this week, Herring was shot by police who were responding to a domestic dispute. A man with knife wounds on his face, arms, and torso identified Herring as his attacker, and she also stabbed an officer in the arm when police came to arrest her.

The injured protesters - two women and a man - had jumped onto the vehicle and fell off when the driver pulled away, Jackson said.

The driver then sped away from the area as police gave chase.

The driver then tried to accelerate through the marchers, advancing the auto into three of them.

The vehicle stopped inches short of protesters, and protesters began moving towards the auto.

CBS St. Louis affiliate KMOV-TV reports anger and emotion were already growing over Herring's death before the incident in the intersection. When Herring wounded one of the officers, she was shot and later died.

Shocking images of the auto hitting pedestrians near the Transgender Memorial Garden- where a vigil was being held for Kiwi Herring- circulated on social media.

The three protesters reported minor injuries but refused medical attention, the statement continued. Police say she was also involved in the attack on the 30-year-old male victim.

Jackson said the incident was caught on video and remains under investigation.

Herring is survived by her spouse, Kristy Thompson, and three sons, who are all under the age of 8.

The officer was taken to a hospital and discharged later that day.