The Yankees' Tommy Kahnle retaliated by "throwing behind" Miguel Cabrera in the sixth, and Kahnle and manager Joe Girardi were ejected, with the latter incensed that Kahnle was ejected without a warning.
Kahnle was ejected after his pitch behind Cabrera, and Girardi was tossed after he came out to argue.
As Kahnle's replacement began warming up, a jawing match between catcher Austin Romine and Cabrera ensued. Cabrera then shoved him in the chest and took a swing at the catcher with his left hand before being tackled by Romine.
That's when both benches cleared and met at home-plate, with players either clamoring to get a few licks in on the either side or teammates desperately trying to pull others away from the melee.
Tigers reliever Alex Wilson was tossed after hitting NY third baseman Todd Frazier with a pitch in the eighth.
Wilson was ejected in the eighth inning after hitting Clint Frazier in the thigh with a pitch. Bleacher Report adds Sanchez had a role in kicking off this feud, as Tigers pitcher Michael Fulmer beamed him after he jacked a homer off the Tigers pitcher in the fourth inning.
In case you've been living in a mineshaft for the past 18 hours, the Yankees and Tigers engaged in a good old fashioned donnybrook during Thursday's game, and it really was an all-timer. The benches cleared again, but no punches were thrown.
Both teams racked up so many because the bitterness didn't end with the sixth inning brawl - nor did the risky pitches. The game was about to resume when Cabrera became upset with Romine; both were ejected. With Miguel Cabrera and Austin Romine tussling on the ground, Castellanos went diving in to try to break things up.
"He said, 'Do you have a problem with me?'" said Romine, whose brother, Andrew, plays for the Tigers. When all was said and done, the benches cleared on three separate occasions and there was a total of eight ejections. Robertson would walk the next batter and give up a bases clearing double to Jose Iglesias, giving the Tigers a three run lead.
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted in rape case, sentencing on August 28
- Taylor Swift teases new United States concert tour
- US Crude Production Continues Climb Toward Record High
- Galaxy Note 8 in Canada: Everything you need to know!
- Some Pushback Against NFL Coming From Kaepernick Supporters In Chicago
- Meghan Trainor objects to image use for Australian anti-marriage equality ad
- FTC gives OK to Amazon-Whole Foods deal
- Salesforce beats second-quarter expectations - but its stock sinks up to 3%
- Verizon overhauls unlimited plan, intros video throttling
- Season 7, Episode 7 "The Dragon and the Wolf" preview images