Unconfirmed reports suggest that beises two militants, four policemen and two para-military troopers have been killed.
The terror strike took place at the crack of dawn when the militants, believed to be foreign mercenaries, entered the police complex in the worst-hit Pulwama district, 25 km from here.
"The CRPF head constable and the trooper succumbed to injuries in a hospital", sources said.
Confirming the on-going gunbattle, an official said that security forces are retaliating with full force and the entire area has been cordoned off by police. One terrorist killed. Cop, 2 CRPF men martyred.
A policeman and three CRPF personnel were also wounded in the stand-off.
Police Chief SP Vaid told Kashmir Reader that two militant bodies have also been recovered from the encounter site.
Jawans suffered serious bullet injuries and several families of policemen have been evacuated from the vicinity of the incident.
Indian-administered Kashmir has seen a violent secessionist movement since the mid-1980s, leaving more than 44,000 rebels, security force personnel, and civilians dead. The state government forces were successful in killing a militant.
He said many local youths had joined the militant ranks in the valley.
They used grenades and gunfire.
Day-long fighting triggered as gunmen storm police base in Pulwama town in first major rebel attack in a year.
Authorities have cut off mobile internet services in the district to prevent residents from organizing anti-India protests to help militants escape.
At the time of filing of this report, forces had set two buildings on fire inside DPL Pulwama while loud explosions were being heard from inside the police facility. At present, the total number of militants is not clear, and it would be confirmed after the terrorists have been killed.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Apple May Debut 4K Apple TV
- Mexico's peso weakens after Trump says he may kill NAFTA
- Permit approved for controversial right-wing rally in San Francisco
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Yankees, Tigers in wild all-in Major League Baseball brawl as tempers reach boiling point
- Man drives through vigil held for transgender woman after police killed her
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted in rape case, sentencing on August 28