Unconfirmed reports suggest that beises two militants, four policemen and two para-military troopers have been killed.
The terror strike took place at the crack of dawn when the militants, believed to be foreign mercenaries, entered the police complex in the worst-hit Pulwama district, 25 km from here.
"The CRPF head constable and the trooper succumbed to injuries in a hospital", sources said.
Confirming the on-going gunbattle, an official said that security forces are retaliating with full force and the entire area has been cordoned off by police. One terrorist killed. Cop, 2 CRPF men martyred.
A policeman and three CRPF personnel were also wounded in the stand-off.
Police Chief SP Vaid told Kashmir Reader that two militant bodies have also been recovered from the encounter site.
Jawans suffered serious bullet injuries and several families of policemen have been evacuated from the vicinity of the incident.
Indian-administered Kashmir has seen a violent secessionist movement since the mid-1980s, leaving more than 44,000 rebels, security force personnel, and civilians dead. The state government forces were successful in killing a militant.
He said many local youths had joined the militant ranks in the valley.
They used grenades and gunfire.
Day-long fighting triggered as gunmen storm police base in Pulwama town in first major rebel attack in a year.
Authorities have cut off mobile internet services in the district to prevent residents from organizing anti-India protests to help militants escape.
At the time of filing of this report, forces had set two buildings on fire inside DPL Pulwama while loud explosions were being heard from inside the police facility. At present, the total number of militants is not clear, and it would be confirmed after the terrorists have been killed.
- Yankees, Tigers in wild all-in Major League Baseball brawl as tempers reach boiling point
- Some Pushback Against NFL Coming From Kaepernick Supporters In Chicago
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Apple May Debut 4K Apple TV
- Interior Recommends Trump on Shrinking Some National Monument Areas
- Mexico's peso weakens after Trump says he may kill NAFTA
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester