The Jags are still unsure who will be at the helm Week 1. That has led to some speculation that the Jaguars could cut him outright rather than risk having to dish out the salary if Bortles is injured (the money is guaranteed only for injury, a situation that led the Redskins to sit Robert Griffin III for all of 2015).
Despite his downturn in production, the Jaguars picked up his fifth-year option earlier this offseason and did not make any significant additions to the quarterback room. While the Jaguars have great players at several key positions, they still have a lot of questions to answer at the quarterback position. Bortles completed 12 of 16 passes for 125 yards and a touchdown with an interception.
The Jacksonville Jaguars are sticking with Blake Bortles-for now.
By the time that terrible season concluded, Bortles had cemented himself as one of two players to toss at least 50 interceptions from 2014 to 2016.
The Jaguars announced on Wednesday that veteran Chad Henne will get the starting nod on Thursday when the Jaguars take on the Carolina Panthers, basically meaning the former first-round draft pick has been benched in the preseason.
"I'm sure both quarterbacks would have liked to have done a better job, but offensively I think everyone needs to do a better job", Marrone said after the third preseason game.
There is a continued call from many, including Jags fans, to get quarterback Colin Kaepernick back on an National Football League team. They need to find someone that can successfully lead the offense when the games count.
Marrone was asked how much the Jaguars' struggles on the offensive line during preseason influenced the decision.
Bortles played almost the entire second half behind the first-team offensive line, but he was facing the Panthers' backups. Bortles is set to make a little more than $19 million next season. "The ability to keep going on was going to stop the process of the team". However, naming Henne as the starter is a move heavy with symbolism, and it bodes ill for Bortles's tenure in Jacksonville. He's started 45 regular-season games in a row for Jacksonville.
- Meghan Trainor objects to image use for Australian anti-marriage equality ad
- J&K: Terror attack in Pulwama, 1 policeman dead, 3 CRPF men injured
- Poll Shows Trump's Approval Rating Hit New Low After Charlottesville
- Apple May Debut 4K Apple TV
- Brathwaite repels England to further lift West Indies
- Premier League Preview: Red-hot Liverpool host stuttering Arsenal
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted in rape case, sentencing on August 28
- Lower Prices Part of Amazon's Plans for Whole Foods
- Mexico's peso weakens after Trump says he may kill NAFTA
- Religious conservative leaders defend Trump's response to Charlottesville violence