Arpaio, 85, was known for his crackdown on undocumented immigrants entering from neighboring Mexico and investigating unfounded Trump-supported claims that former President Barack Obama' birth certificate was forged.
During his August 23 broadcast of The Alex Jones Show, Jones said that he had been told Trump would pardon Arpaio.
His office drew national notoriety for its hard-line stance against illegal immigrants, which led to years of complaints about racist policing. "Donald Trump can ignore the rule of law, but it was our voters who removed Joe Arpaio from power", said Mayor Stanton.
In a post on Twitter, Democratic New York Senator Chuck Schumer accused President Trump of "using the cover of the storm" - Hurricane Harvey - to "pardon a man who violated a court order to stop discriminating against Latinos".
Arpaio had been scheduled to be sentenced on October 5 and faced a fine and maximum sentence of six months in jail.
"It is hard to imagine anyone less worthy of a pardon or of mercy of any kind than Joe Arpaio", Janet Murguía, president and CEO of UnidosUS, one of the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights groups, said in a statement Friday.
"I won't do it tonight because I don't want to cause any controversy", Trump said.
"Had this pardon not happened, we would have spent years and lots of money and time to fight for a jury and to fight for his innocence", he said.
US District Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio guilty for disobeying a 2011 judge's order to put an end to the racial profiling of Latinos, according to the Los Angeles Times. I'll make a prediction. "Arpaio was not 'just doing his job.' He was violating the Constitution and discriminating against Latinos". He became the Sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona in 1992.
This is Trump's first pardon in office, and it is unusual for a President to issue pardons - especially ones of such high profile - so soon in his first term. The inmates lived outdoors while enduring sweltering Arizona desert temperatures.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (NYSE:FCAU) reported Sales of 131.96 Billion
- Kim Wall: Murder Charges Sought For Peter Madsen Over Dismembered Journalist
- Interior Recommends Trump on Shrinking Some National Monument Areas
- US Curbs Venezuela's Access to Debt, Toughening Sanctions
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Poll Shows Trump's Approval Rating Hit New Low After Charlottesville
- Bomb attack hits Shia mosque in Kabul, 20 killed
- Huge fight in Major League Baseball game between Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Dixons Carphone warns on profits as customers keep phones for longer