Schumacher's family had a special message for Hamilton and F1 sporting boss Ross Brown delivered it: "His [Schumacher's] wife Corinna said that Michael always believed records were there to be broken, and they want to offer their congratulations". "I know he doesn't want to be my team-mate".
There was disappointment, however, for Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who was supported by a huge crowd of Dutch supporters, as a mechanical failure stopped his auto on track, giving him his sixth retirement in 12 races. "The team is in a very, very good union". He was pleased with his first season with the team in a relatively competitive auto when he won three races and finished third in the world championship.
"I guess they (the stewards) wanted to see a race, so that's for sure the reason they did that because there was hardly any debris", he said. Now I want to convert it into a win in the race.
"He would not be in the position he is now in his team in terms of how the team operate if he was here".
"The crowd have been incredible", Hamilton said. The race continued on the 33rd lap, and Vettel started attacking Hamilton who managed to preserve his leading position until the end.
"I'm here to win". "I've been talking for a while with Ferrari, my intention was to stay". "It's been a strong weekend for the team".
An emotional Hamilton, who was nearly a quarter of a second faster than championship leader Sebastian Vettel, said: "To hear the message that Ross just gave, I have to say a big thank you".
"I can't control what's going to happen". Two years ago we said we wanted to get back on top and I think we are on the right road.
"The last race is one of the best examples of how great the team is now", Hamilton added.
He added: "Ferrari have been the most consistent this year and it's why they lead".
"That's really the goal now, throwing every bit of energy towards it". He was probably waiting for me to do a mistake - I didn't.
- Jaguars name Blake Bortles starting QB for regular season
- Iraqi TV Cameraman Killed by Militants While Covering Tal Afar Offensive
- Bomb attack hits Shia mosque in Kabul, 20 killed
- Yankees, Tigers in wild all-in Major League Baseball brawl as tempers reach boiling point
- Some Pushback Against NFL Coming From Kaepernick Supporters In Chicago
- Sacked dishwasher shot by police in US
- Donald Trump's National Security Adviser Sebastian Gorka Resigns From White House
- J&K: Terror attack in Pulwama, 1 policeman dead, 3 CRPF men injured
- Premier League Preview: Red-hot Liverpool host stuttering Arsenal
- Lower Prices Part of Amazon's Plans for Whole Foods