Sgt. Steve Perez, 60, died Sunday morning while driving in a patrol vehicle to his station in downtown Houston.
As was protocol, he informed his chain of command and tried to get to the closest command post in Kingwood, but got caught in flood waters under an overpass near the Hardy Toll Road and Beltway 8.
Houston officials say they're aware of a report of a police officer drowning in his patrol auto as he was driving to work. ABC News Anchor Tom Llamas shared a photo on Twitter just after 11:30 a.m. of a looting situation happening in the Houston area where the Coast Guard is flying overhead.
In defending his decision, Turner has repeatedly invoked grim memories of Hurricane Rita in 2005, when problems from an evacuation of 3 million roughly half of greater Houston were blamed in numerous more than 100 deaths reported.
Houston, Texas-A Houston police officer has died while trying to reach the police station during the floods from Hurricane Harvey.
Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said he is not going to tolerate criminals taking advantage of people in the community during such a devastating time.
The 60-year-old officer's wife had asked him not to go to work, but Acevedo said he went anyway. The dive team was called out, and the Cajun Navy volunteer search and rescue force was called to assist in the effort to locate Sgt. Perez. The fallen officer's family told him not to go, and he told them, "I've got work to do".
In addition to looting and robbing, authorities said scammers are going door-to-door pretending to be law enforcement, contractors, or others offering "help". "I've only been here nine months and we've got, you know, 6,500 employees and I knew who Steve Perez was, because he was a sweet, gentle public servant".
Perez leaves behind a wife as well as a son and daughter.
- Liverpool ready £60m offer for top 21-year-old attacker
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Ivanka Trump Supports Repeal of Obama's Equal Pay Plan
- TI blasts Joel Osteen for delayed opening of Houston megachurch
- Windies pull off magnificent win after Hope ton
- Mattis says transgender soldiers can stay - for now
- Malinga to lead Sri Lanka against India
- Trump Says 'All Options on Table' After North Korea Missile Launch
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Chris Sale's dominance against Blue Jays continues