Walking door to door in the hurricane zone, Vice President Mike Pence surveyed Harvey's path of destruction Thursday and pledged that the Trump administration would help bring southeast Texas back "bigger and better than ever before".
"Thank you Vice President Mike Pence and Second Lady Karen Pence for spending time today with victims of #HurricaneHarvey and the volunteers trying to make a difference in people's lives", the evangelist wrote. "The White House announcing today that President Trump is pledging to personally donate $1 million to Harvey relief, and he'll return to visit the storm zone this weekend", he announced at the start of a segment that was partly about the White House's relief efforts.
"When one hurts, we all hurt", Pence said to a crowd there.
Due to rising waters of the Neches River caused by Tropical Storm Harvey, the city of Beaumont, Texas has lost its water system. "It's not months, but it's years", says Pence.
Pence said, "The president has made clear that we're going to stand firm and we're going to build a wall and secure our border. And together, we will endure and we will overcome", Trump said.
At least 44 people have died so far in storm-related incidents, and 32,000 people have been displaced from their homes.
Throughout the initial response to the awful devastation that has resulted from this hurricane, there have been countless stories - and thousands we will probably never hear - of neighbor helping neighbor, and strangers reaching out to aid others, during this hard time.
Pence promised that the administration is with the people of Texas and all of those affected by the hurricane. The American people voted for immigration control. "But I will tell you, President Trump's made it very clear that our top priority right now is dealing with Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath", he said.
President Donald Trump visited Corpus Christi, Texas, and Austin on Tuesday for briefings with local officials.
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Mueller Has 'Problematic' Original Draft of Comey Firing Letter
- Indian Supreme Court to Hear Rohingya Deportation Case
- Late flurry secures win for underwhelming England in Malta
- United States refiner Motiva warns of fuel supply crunch after Harvey
- Browns Give Up On Brock Osweiler Experiment
- Los Angeles fire: Hundreds ordered to evacuate as fire engulfs 2000 acres
- Major upset brewing on opening night? IN leads Ohio State at halftime
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Majority describe Trump as a 'bully' who 'says what he thinks'