At 5:00 p.m. the centre of Hurricane Irma was located near latitude 18.8 North, longitude 39.1 West - 1495 miles (2405 km) east of the Leeward Islands.
A National Hurricane Center advisory said Irma's sustained winds had continued to drop to 110 miles per hour with some higher gusts, but that the storm is expected to remain powerful throughout the weekend.
The Cayman Islands National Weather Service reported that Hurricane Irma poses no immediate threat to the Cayman Islands.
Hurricane Irma has become a monster storm that is projected to reach Category 4 strength, with winds up to 140 miles per hour, by next week.
Irma is expected to become the fourth hurricane of the Atlantic hurricane season Thursday as it continues to move through the open Atlantic Ocean.
At that rate, Irma wouldn't be near the islands until Tuesday or Wednesday.
September is generally the peak month of hurricane season, so far the Atlantic season has seen nine named storms and four hurricanes, with Harvey and Irma as the season's two major hurricanes.
Only eight days ago deadly Category 4 Hurricane Harvey hurtled onto the southern U.S. coast from the Gulf of Mexico, delivering record-smashing rainfall and flooding, and decimating the infrastructure of Houston, the country's 4th largest city.
A westward to west-southwestward motion with some reduction in forward speed is expected through tomorrow night.
Most of the attention surrounding Irma is focused on where the storm could hit.
Regardless, everyone in hurricane prone areas should make sure they have their hurricane plan in place and keep up with any updates, especially as we get closer to next weekend.
- Highway Patrol: Drive safely over Labor Day weekend
- Los Angeles fire: Hundreds ordered to evacuate as fire engulfs 2000 acres
- U.S. vs Costa Rica World Cup Qualifying Match Preview
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Mueller Has 'Problematic' Original Draft of Comey Firing Letter
- Seismic tremor detected near North Korea nuclear test site
- North Korea Reveals Shocking Images Of Possible H-Bomb Warhead
- North Korea: Kim Jong Un observes missile-ready hydrogen bomb
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Russian Federation responds to latest Trump collusion controversy