Hurricane Irma is approximately 1420 nautical miles from St. Kitts and Nevis. There has been little change in the organization or structure of the storm today.Maximum sustained winds are around 110 miles per hour... just shy of major hurricane strength (category 3).
Speculation continues to fly around the path of Hurricane Irma as it edged ever closer to the Caribbean on Saturday.
"On the forecast track, the centre of Irma is forecast to approach the northern Leeward Islands late Tuesday..."
In the last 24 hours, Irma transformed from a tropical storm into a Category 2 hurricane.
Based on a National Hurricane Center model, the storm will strike the Lesser Antilles by Monday but it is what #Irma does after that which becomes most import for the Turks and Caicos Islands. On Sunday, Hurricane warnings were issued for parts of the Leeward Islands.
Nine storms have developed so far this Atlantic season, with three hurricanes and one major hurricane.
South Florida meteorologist Craig Setzer said it was too early to tell if the storm would impact Florida or the Gulf of Mexico region. Its maximum sustained winds had increased to near 110 miles per hour. Regardless, everyone in the hurricane prone areas should ensure that they have their hurricane plan in place, as we are now near the peak of the season.
"Irma has gone from a Category 3 storm to a Category 2 storm".
As of Sunday morning, Hurricane Irma remains a strong Category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 115 miles per hour and it is tracking to the west southwest at 15 miles per hour.
It is too early to know what impact the hurricane will have on the Bahamas and on the eastern United States, where there are now no warnings or watches in effect, CNN is reporting.
- Los Angeles fire: Hundreds ordered to evacuate as fire engulfs 2000 acres
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Snippet of Taylor Swift's New Song 'Ready for It'
- The Right Place for Drug Rehab
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Keeping all options on table: White House on North Korea
- Harvey triggers gasoline-price surge just in time for Labor Day
- It's too soon to determine Hurricane Irma's impact on the United States
- U.S. vs Costa Rica World Cup Qualifying Match Preview
- Dustin Johnson posts 5-under 66 for early lead in Boston