Irma, which rapidly intensified to a Category 3 storm on Thursday, is already the longest-duration storm at hurricane strength of the 2017 Atlantic season.
Hurricane Irma is approximately 1420 nautical miles from St. Kitts and Nevis.
Hurricane Irma regained its status as a major Category 3 storm early Sunday but its impact on the Eastern United States remains uncertain.
Hurricane Irma is back to a unsafe Category 3 storm, but the spaghetti models continue to show a path off the coast of Sebastian and Vero Beach.
Forecast tracks have Irma moving on a general westerly track, approaching the Caribbean by early next week. A hurricane watch, issued two days in advance of tropical storm force winds, means sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher are possible.
"Irma has become a hurricane", the NHC said on Thursday, noting the rapid intensification.
Hurricane Irma will be a "major hurricane" when it closes in next week, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) has warned Saturday, Sept. 2.
No coastal watches or warnings have yet been issued for Irma, and it is not certain where or when it might make landfall. A turn toward the west is expected by Friday night, followed by a turn toward the west-southwest on Saturday. One of those storms, however, was Hurricane Hugo in 1989.
Irma is moving toward the west at 14 miles per hour, and a turn toward the west is expected followed by a turn toward the west-southwest on Saturday.
As we are in the peak of hurricane season, it's no surprise that another system is being watched by the hurricane center.
Right now, it is too early to predict if and when it would have any impact on the United States.
- Late flurry secures win for underwhelming England in Malta
- Dustin Johnson posts 5-under 66 for early lead in Boston
- North Korea: Kim Jong Un observes missile-ready hydrogen bomb
- Snippet of Taylor Swift's New Song 'Ready for It'
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Seismic tremor detected near North Korea nuclear test site
- Keeping all options on table: White House on North Korea
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- U.S. vs Costa Rica World Cup Qualifying Match Preview
- Russian Federation responds to latest Trump collusion controversy