Irma, which rapidly intensified to a Category 3 storm on Thursday, is already the longest-duration storm at hurricane strength of the 2017 Atlantic season.
Hurricane Irma is approximately 1420 nautical miles from St. Kitts and Nevis.
Hurricane Irma regained its status as a major Category 3 storm early Sunday but its impact on the Eastern United States remains uncertain.
Hurricane Irma is back to a unsafe Category 3 storm, but the spaghetti models continue to show a path off the coast of Sebastian and Vero Beach.
Forecast tracks have Irma moving on a general westerly track, approaching the Caribbean by early next week. A hurricane watch, issued two days in advance of tropical storm force winds, means sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher are possible.
"Irma has become a hurricane", the NHC said on Thursday, noting the rapid intensification.
Hurricane Irma will be a "major hurricane" when it closes in next week, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) has warned Saturday, Sept. 2.
No coastal watches or warnings have yet been issued for Irma, and it is not certain where or when it might make landfall. A turn toward the west is expected by Friday night, followed by a turn toward the west-southwest on Saturday. One of those storms, however, was Hurricane Hugo in 1989.
Irma is moving toward the west at 14 miles per hour, and a turn toward the west is expected followed by a turn toward the west-southwest on Saturday.
As we are in the peak of hurricane season, it's no surprise that another system is being watched by the hurricane center.
Right now, it is too early to predict if and when it would have any impact on the United States.
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Job Creation Stumbles as August Adds Just 156000 Positions
- U.S. vs Costa Rica World Cup Qualifying Match Preview
- Vice President speaks outside Rockport church devastated by Harvey
- Browns Give Up On Brock Osweiler Experiment
- Utah Officer on Leave After Arresting Nurse Who Did Her Job
- North Korea: Talking is not the answer, says Trump
- Russian Federation responds to latest Trump collusion controversy
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Mueller Has 'Problematic' Original Draft of Comey Firing Letter