Tropical storm or hurricane watches could be issued for the British and U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Monday.
Irma formed Wednesday as a tropical storm just west of the Cabo Verde islands, and reached hurricane strength Thursday morning.
As Hurricane Irma continues marching through the middle of the Atlantic as a Category 2 hurricane, forecasters are trying to project where the hurricane will end up as it moves to the west.
The approach of Irma will result in a general drop-off in wind speeds across the island, leading to warmer and hence uncomfortable conditions, said the BMS. Sustained winds of roughly 138 miles per hour with gusts of almost 167 miles per hour expected before winds calm by a few miles per hour on Thursday and Friday as the storm maintains its Category 4 status.
The hurricane center reported earlier on Sunday that the storm is expected to continue on this trajectory for the next 30 hours before gradually turning toward the west and then west-northwest on days 3-5.
Irma isn't the only thing to watch on Saturday in the Atlantic.
Nine storms have developed so far this Atlantic season, with three hurricanes and one major hurricane.
The storm was located 1,220 miles from the Leeward Islands on Saturday and moving west at almost 15 mph, forecasters said.
"Irma is a serious threat for the Caribbean islands and United States", AccuWeather lead long-range meteorologist Paul Pastelok said. Residents in hurricane-prone areas should have their hurricane plans in place should another storm make landfall.
Currently, Irma is very powerful but very small, but is expected to increase in the coming days, according NHC prediction models.
Irma is moving through the eastern Atlantic and now poses no threat to land.
- Irma grows stronger, now a Category 3 hurricane
- Hurricane Irma Could Strengthen To Category 5, Forecasted To Be "Extremely Dangerous"
- Hurricane Irma Still Powerful, Path Still Unknown
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Hurricane Irma Packing 110 MPH Winds and Headed West Over Atlantic
- Harvey triggers gasoline-price surge just in time for Labor Day
- North Korea Reveals Shocking Images Of Possible H-Bomb Warhead
- Irma is already a major hurricane and getting stronger
- Dustin Johnson posts 5-under 66 for early lead in Boston
- North Korea: Talking is not the answer, says Trump