Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA), has quoted a statement issued by General Command of the Army and Armed Forces affirming that the Israeli warplanes fired several rockets from the Lebanese airspace at 02.42 am on Thursday.
It made no mention of the research center, describing the strikes instead as an attempt to hamper Syria's fight against the Islamic State and warning of "serious repercussions of such acts of aggression on the security and stability of the region".
The reported attack took place on the 10th anniversary of Israel's destruction of a nuclear reactor in Syria.
But that Israeli officials have in the past admitted to Israel hitting weapons shipments believed to be bound for Hezbollah, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Israel has struck a Syrian Army installation for the development of chemical weapons and missiles, according to reports from the media and activists that monitor the fighting in Syria.
The reported air strike on Syrian government facility comes as Israel is conducting its biggest military exercise in 19 years on its northern border.
-Gen. Amir Eshel stated that Israel carried out at least 100 strikes in the past five years against the transfer of advanced weaponry from the Assad regime to Hezbollah, including the transfer of chemical weapons.
The Israeli attack came as Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, backed by Hizbullah and Russian Federation, has scored impressive gains against both Islamic State and Syrian rebel groups.
The Israeli jets allegedly aimed to attack a military facility and caused an extensive damage.
Israeli warplanes struck one of the Syrian regime's key missile and chemical weapons factories today, killing two soldiers.
The Syrian army condemned Israel's move. Israel claims that Iran is building missiles in Syria and Lebanon for the Islamist militant group.
Amidror added that the attack that Israel carried out was consistent with Israel's defensive posture regarding Syria and that the overnight attack marked "another level" of response. Such a strike is "exceptional", he said, and shows that "Israel won't allow the stockpiling and production of strategic arms".
- Destiny 2: Is the Crucible Not Working?
- Petra Kvitova: Her Remarkable Recovery After Life-Changing Ordeal Continues
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Colin Trevorrow no longer directing 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
- No. 15 Georgia loses QB Jacob Eason to knee injury
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Huawei debuts new Kirin 970 chip with advanced AI processing
- Smriti Irani demands speedy probe into journalist Gauri Lankesh's killing
- Jaguar unveils its plan for an electric Future
- Assist for Bale: Helping Convince Ben Woodburn to Represent Wales Over England