The United Kingdom and France have said they will ban new petrol and diesel cars from 2040.
India, which suffers from an acute air quality problem, is home to numerous world's most polluted cities. The country has already committed to a 2030 deadline for capping carbon emissions and restricting air pollution.
Automakers "have not really tried hard in this sector" and consumers are not so familiar with new-energy vehicles, Cui said.
Local companies that make electric vehicles enjoy subsidies from the government.
Last year, China sold 507,000 NEVs, an increase of 53 per cent year on year.
Cui Dongshu, head of a Chinese auto industry group, said a possible phase-out of fossil fuel cars would be "a long process" because of slow progress from domestic car manufacturers, as well as customer unfamiliarity with electric vehicles. The government will implement the cap-and-trade policy in 2019 instead of next year, Caixin reported last month, citing people close to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
Norway: The government's transportation plan outlines a clear target: All new passenger cars and vans sold in 2025 should be zero-emission vehicles.
The most sensitive to market trends, leading industrial players have been quick to respond.
Chinese-owned Volvo recently announced it will produce only electrified drivetrains - in hybrid, plug-in and BEV form - for all new models launched in 2018 and beyond.
GM, Volkswagen, Ford, Daimler and many other automakers also have plans to beef up NEVs production.
Such a drastic pivot in a market as large as China's won't come without challenges.
China has announced it is mulling over a ban on the production and sale of petrol and diesel based cars and vans from 2040 in an effort to boost the production of electric vehicles.
Global cooperation on NEV production is also gearing up.
- Dallas Cowboys rumors: Experts say Cowboys won't even win NFC East
- Arsène Wenger to lay down the law after shock of Liverpool defeat
- Death Toll From Massive Mexican Quake Rises to 65
- Ready to accelerate Brexit talks, says European Union chief negotiator Barnier
- 'It' Beats 'Deadpool' To Become The Biggest R-Rated Movie Opening Ever
- American women dominate the 2017 US Open
- Japan, South Korea push Putin over Pyongyang sanctions
- Hillary Says She's 'Done With Being a Candidate'
- USA wants full implementation of Kofi Annan recommendations to address Rohingya issue
- State monitoring review of Title IX rules