Chasing down a 50-50 ball with the Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson rushing towards him, Mane lifted his book and left it there, resulting in a risky collision that could've left his opponent seriously injured.
"When the pitch was wet and the ball goes into that position, we have to defend with our goalkeeper".
Ederson raced out of his area to head clear a high bouncing ball when he was knocked to the ground.
Replays showed Mane appeared to have eyes only for the ball after a lofted pass put him through, but his studs caught the Brazilian in an ugly fashion. Hopefully he's back ASAP.
City were already leading 1-0 when the incident occurred through Sergio Aguero's opener.
"Of course we can't neglect the performance after that - we have to keep it in mind - but we have another game midweek when we can prove ourselves again".
Mike Zarrilli Getty Images
"We're not going to win any trophies this season". They have players who can change games and make chances.
"We play so high, the goalkeeper has to play on the 16-metre box and help with these frontal balls", said the City manager, whose side open their Champions League campaign at Feyenoord on Thursday morning (Singapore time).
Pep Guardiola's City collected just 11 points in games against Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton as they finished third, 15 points off the pace last season.
Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum said the visitors had not responded well after the red card.
Speaking to BBC 606, the reds fans said: "Without Mane we're no good, and the transfer window was no good.
We always have the pressure to do good in every cup, every league", the Belgium worldwide midfielder told reporters.
"I really expect from us that we are much stronger in the first half hour". It was in a lot of moments very unlucky for us.
- Dallas Cowboys rumors: Experts say Cowboys won't even win NFC East
- Storm power boosted by warming
- What Luis Suarez Said To Ousmane Dembele Before His Barcelona Debut
- Anderson evergreen as England clinches series vs. Windies
- And now the names of Apple's new iPhones look to have leaked…
- How to Profit 75% from Natural Gas Prices Today
- USA wants full implementation of Kofi Annan recommendations to address Rohingya issue
- Destiny 2's Armour Shaders Are Single Use Items
- Hillary Says She's 'Done With Being a Candidate'
- Trump gets briefed on Hurricane Irma