When players like Xherdan Shaqiri, Granit Xhaka and Breel Embolo were sold in recent years, they were often replaced by shrewd acquisitions like Mohamed Salah, who left Basel for Chelsea after his goals beat the current English champion four years ago.
Manchester United have been on the rise over the past year, ever since the hiring of Jose Mourinho and a transfer policy that's finally gotten as aggressive and forward-thinking as it had needed to be for a long time.
There will be many changes in the United side following Saturday's draw with Stoke with both Eric Bailly and Phil Jones not being able to feature due to bans. He is a classic Mourinho player with a physical presence and charisma.
"We can't be happy with the results, especially the last one, but we're not going to change the way we work, just as we didn't previous year. I believe that he can score and I hope that he will score goals in the Champions League for us as well".
"Juventus, because they were champions in Italy three months in advance, they could play. with the second team and arrive fresh for the quarter-final, the semi-final, the final of the Champions League".
"I don't think Bailly and Jones are better than Smalling and Lindelof".
- Liverpool and Sevilla's only previous encounter came in the final of the 2016 Europa League. That deserves attention given that all three of United's Premier League wins this season have been by two or more goals (4-0 v West Ham, 4-0 at Swansea City, 2-0 v Leicester City). "There is a reason for Eric and Jones to be anxious because Victor is very good".
The Portuguese gaffer has also mentioned that Marouane Fellaini is a very important member of the squad.
"I can only judge his record in England by seeing it was not as good as it was in Holland, Portugal and Switzerland", he said, speaking to Talksport. Basel will be visiting a slightly celebratory Old Trafford as the famous anthem will be played again.
Manchester United will open Champions League action against FC Basel at Old Trafford.
This is United's 21st Champions League participation, the most for an English side and the fourth-most after Real Madrid, Barcelona and Porto (22).
"We have to qualify for the round of 16 and then enjoy the special nature of the knockouts".
- American women dominate the 2017 US Open
- Frank de Boer's misery deepens after Palace's fourth straight defeat
- Manchester United and Manchester City voted against transfer window changes
- 'It' Beats 'Deadpool' To Become The Biggest R-Rated Movie Opening Ever
- Norwegian Lets Cruisers Hop Off in Miami or Outrun Irma on Board
- Janet Jackson Gets Emotional on Stage While Performing Domestic Abuse Song
- Hurricane-force winds expected across Tampa Bay; warnings in effect
- And now the names of Apple's new iPhones look to have leaked…
- Trump Considers Scrapping South Korean Trade Agreement
- Chelsea Players Share Changing Room Selfies After Beating Leicester