This is the first time two Atlantic Category 4 hurricanes have ever been recorded to make landfall in the US during the same year.
But Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, said rebuilding from the back-to-back storms will boost the USA economy in the fourth quarter of this year and into 2018.
The one-two punch delivered within the space of a few weeks by Irma and Hurricane Harvey, which deposited a whopping 33 trillion gallons of rain over four states, has sparked renewed interest in the relationship between climate change and extreme weather.
Typical GOP. Only when they are suddenly faced with the costs of the damage from climate change-driven flooding are they finally going to maybe think about bringing up admitting that it's a problem.
Hurricanes Irma barreled across Florida over the weekend with damaging winds and rainfall as the now weakened tropical storm continues to move through the area. "This is truly, truly poster child for what is to come".
The abstractness of climate change might be hard to grasp, but the unbridled development in Houston and Texas is anything but.
Hurricane Harvey came ashore in Texas on August 25, becoming the first major hurricane to make landfall in the USA since Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Unless we take steps to keep fossil fuels in the ground and plan for a changing world, more people will lose their homes or their lives. In short, the word "natural disaster" doesn't entirely cover how it is human beings have chose to put more and more people in harm's way. Harvey was the first major storm to hit the coastline in more than a decade.
"The potential economic impact from a retail perspective is now, we're estimating, as $2.75 billion", Gold said. "We have to be prepared". We got [Hurricane] Jose in the back and we got Katia.
MR. BOSSERT: Well I don't know if I say either, but I do note that there is a cyclical nature of a lot of these hurricane seasons.
- Manchester United and Manchester City voted against transfer window changes
- Fort Lauderdale police arrest 9 people caught on camera looting during Irma
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- In China talking about banning cars on petrol and diesel
- Dallas Cowboys rumors: Experts say Cowboys won't even win NFC East
- Frank de Boer's misery deepens after Palace's fourth straight defeat
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Violence against Rohingyas in Myanmar 'seems like ethnic cleansing'
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Ready to accelerate Brexit talks, says European Union chief negotiator Barnier