Alvarez has fought on a much bigger stage against much bigger opponents.
This clash is being touted by boxing experts as the biggest clash in the 160-pound division since the historic night 30 years ago when "Sugar" Ray Leonard defeated "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler via what was a controversial split decision. Triple G is top of the rankings when it comes to jabs landed per round, averaging 12, which is over double the average across the professional ranks. People had grown exhausted of Mayweather's act and felt Alvarez, then 23, would be the guy to knock him off the top of the mountain. "We have been talking about this fight for the last two years and I lost interest, because I was hearing the same thing after each fight from Golden Boy Promotions".
Golovkin tends to pressure his opponents and is very active in the ring; always moving forward and stalking his opponents. He wasn't completely convincing in his last fight but he started ferociously, as he always does, knocked Jacobs down and it looked to go the same way as all his fights but "The Miracle Man" woke up and started boxing back. Maybe inside, maybe right now I'm younger than Canelo.
Can Gennady Golovkin punch his way to the biggest win of his career when he takes on Canelo Alvarez on Saturday evening?
There was a time when it didn't seem that the fight would happen.
Ahead of the fight, the two fighters faced a flood of press and fans at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, with Golovkin taking the opportunity to parade his belts in front of the cameras.
So what is Alvarez gets to rattle Golovkin?
He added: "I am a big middleweight and don't want to give my advantage away, but there is not a super-middleweight that I fear".
A fighter should fight anyone and I think they would all be as hard a fight as each other but I'd probably rather fight "GGG" because I wouldn't have to go looking for him. Abel Sanchez, GGG's trainer, makes no secret that his front footed fight blueprint will not change for the superfight.
- Patty Jenkins will return to direct 'Wonder Woman 2'
- In China talking about banning cars on petrol and diesel
- Harvey One of the Most Costliest Hurricanes in US History
- Hurricane-force winds expected across Tampa Bay; warnings in effect
- Death Toll From Massive Mexican Quake Rises to 65
- As the Champions League returns, here are some storylines to follow
- Class-action lawsuits filed against Equifax following massive data breach
- Nigeria's excess oil revenue rises to N610m per day
- New Miss America chides Trump for withdrawing from worldwide climate accord
- David Johnson Suffers Sprained Wrist