Then in 2013, Trump tweeted, "According to many, and while nominated, I would have won the Emmy many times except for my politics".
"Turns out I was wrong", he joked.
This was just hilarious to some people, like the writers of sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, who asked iconic actor Alec Baldwin to come onto the show and impersonate that businessman on their show.
Laura Dern and John Lithgow won Emmys for their respective supporting roles in "Big Little Lies" and "The Crown".
With his win, Glover becomes the first black person to nab an Emmy in the Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series category. "The audience is counting on you", he said to the crowd that consisted of stars like Robert De Niro, Oprah Winfrey and Kevin Spacey.
TV academy President and CEO Hayma Washington paid tribute to TV's increasing diversity.
Colbert (edged by "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" for best variety series, a loss he amusingly punctuated with fellow also-ran Jimmy Kimmel) even assumed that Trump would tune in, addressing him directly. "But we abandoned that because we were anxious someone else might get to it first".
And shame on Emmy producers for both playing off and cutting the microphone for Drama Actor victor Sterling K. Brown ("This Is Us"), who listed the iconic characters who had previously won in this category, and paid special tribute to Andre Braugher, who was the last black actor to win in this category, 19 years ago for "Homicide: Life on the Street". Repeat contenders "Better Call Saul" and "House of Cards" round out the field.
Millie Bobby Brown, 13, could become the youngest actress ever to win an Emmy for her role as a girl with special powers in "Stranger Things". Alec beat other performers like Louie Anderson, Tituss Burgess, Ty Burrell, Tony Hale, and Matt Walsh.
- Hamas agrees to steps towards Palestinian unity
- Deshaun Watson: Becoming complete QB is 'going to take time'
- Trump Administration Reportedly Will Not Withdraw US From Paris Agreement After All
- Germany's big parties suffer small drop in support
- Cardinals vs. Colts: Highlights, game tracker and more
- New Senate Bill to Replace ACA Gives More Power to States
- Trump tells UN ´sovereign nations´ basis of world order
- Boris Johnson 'backseat driving' on Brexit
- Now a Category 3 storm, Maria heads toward Caribbean islands
- Greg Olsen likely headed to IR, could return this season