Earlier on the day, Mr. Kim blasted Mr. Trump as a "mentally deranged USA dotard" who will "pay dearly" for threatening to destroy North Korea. "Whatever Trump might have expected, he will face results beyond expected".
Kim characterized Trump's speech to the world body as "mentally deranged behavior".
In a rare direct statement, Kim said he "will consider with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hard-line countermeasure in history". The measure seeks to cut off North Korea's access to funding and deter its nuclear and missile programs.
"If he was thinking he could scare us with the sound of a dog barking, that's really a dog dream", Ri, who is here for the UN General Assembly, told the media on Wednesday night.
Trump met with the leaders of Japan and South Korea, two countries united with the U.S.to pressure North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons pursuit. Last week, the U.N. unanimously passed fresh measures to punish the isolated nation economically, with the support of China and Russian Federation.
The statement, which called Trump "a frightened dog" and a "dotard", was delivered by Kim Jong Un himself, and even included a picture of the North Korean leader sitting behind a desk, apparently reading from the statement.
Responding to concerns the heated rhetoric could push North Korea to make a miscalculation, Haley said United States has exhausted all other options, including sanctions and dialogue.
The worldwide community has been increasing pressure on North Korea over a series of recent missile and nuclear tests, and the issue has been a major point of discussion at the UN General Assembly. "We have some indications that there are beginning to appear evidence of fuel shortages", Tillerson said in a briefing for reporters. Though the majority of North Korea's imports come from China, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said "This action is directed at everyone" and the steps are "in no way specifically directed at China".
- Shares tap brakes, dollar reverses as Fed focus builds
- Here's how Hurricane Jose could affect NYC
- FM Zarif blasts Trump's 'unworthy' anti-Iran remarks at UNGA
- Trump Says He May Hold July Fourth Military Parade in Washington
- Tomb Raider: Featurette Talks About Bringing New Life To Lara Croft
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Hillary takes shots at Trump and Putin
- Apple's Worthy iPhone 8 Models May Languish in X's Shadow
- Best Features of iOS 11
- United Kingdom foreign minister Johnson says he will not resign