There are rumours doing round on Internet that the Indian film is similar to a popular Iranian film called Secret Ballot.
Kashyap also took a dig at those claiming the movie was inspired by Babak Payami's 2001 directorial venture. The Hindi movie Newton may not have a blockbuster box office collection here in India but it has joined the sprint of the global Oscar Awards 2018. The film revolves around Newton, who is assigned the task of conducting elections in the conflict-ridden areas of Chhattisgarh, where the fear of Naxalite attacks is high. The film is director Amit Masurkar's most high-profile release. After Trapped, Behen Hogi Teri and Bareilly Ki Barfi, Rajkummar Rao presents his fourth film of the year. Apart from Rajkummar Rao, the movie features Pankaj Tripathi, Sanjai Mishra and Anjali Patil. But it got a boost when probably the news surfaced of its selection as India's official entry for The Oscars this year.
Have you watched Newton yet? "I had no idea about "Secret Ballot". "The film is in theatres at the moment and this announcement will help us reach out to a larger audience".
"The kind of response that we are getting from the critics, and now the fact that it makes it as India's official entry to the Oscars, it's huge". Riding high on the Oscar buzz, the movie witnessed 162.5% growth on Saturday earning Rs 2.52 crore, which is quite extraordinary in its own sense. Rajkummar was quoted saying, "Whatever good is happening with "Newton" is because of my mom's blessings".
He says, "We were preparing for the shoot of Newton when someone asked me if I had seen Secret Ballot".
- Protest shuts down Pelosi's DREAM Act news conference in San Francisco
- Chinese-Russian naval drills begin off North Korea
- Merkel, Schulz at home base on final campaign push
- As Trump Expresses Hope for Peace, PA Considers Unity Agreement with Hamas
- Iran's foreign minister slams Trump over United Nations speech, and gets immediate backlash
- Jordy Nelson: 'My expectations are to play' vs. Bengals
- Trump rescinds invitation for Golden State Warriors to visit White House
- Sushma Swaraj to address 72nd UNGA; terrorism, climate change major issues
- Logan County Health Department offers flu vaccine
- Spanish police arrest Catalan official in referendum row