And considering the two episodes were split on the classic cliff hanger, fans were forced to subscribe to CBS' online-streaming platform in order to see how Burnham and the rest would get out of the danger that they had got themselves into. Set ten years before the events of the original series, Discovery follows First Officer Michael Burnham (the charmastic Sonequa Martin-Green), a Starfleet Officer with experience and conviction, the kind of woman that follows her brain but isn't afraid to listen to her heart. The plot kicks up when they return to space: Lieutenant commander and chief science officer Saru (Doug Jones) has discovered suspiciously damaged Federation equipment; Burnham jets out in a gnarly space suit, only to discover a Klingon structure - with a warrior, Rejac, aboard. In the meantime, I'm going to wait and see. He added, "This is light years removed from being a ideal TV show, but it already shows signs of being a great one". Sarek's skills as an ambassador lead to a role in the future Treaty of Alliance between the Federation and the Klingons. Perhaps the most egregious example of this clunk factor is the pre-credits sequence (spotted in the show's trailers) that features Burnham and Georgiou on a desert planet spouting exposition by the page-full before culminating in moment that's supposed to be inspiring but just plays as silly.
"We hope it's a watershed [moment] for the service", DeBevoise told Adweek.
In any case, it's evident that production was tumultuous, to say the least - from the departure of original showrunner Bryan Fuller to the various delays, a lot of people were left doubtful as to how good the show would actually be.
FOLLOWING the success of the film reboot, US TV channel CBS has commissioned a new series of the Star Trek franchise to air in 2017. At first glance, "Discovery" appears to be paying some homage to the spirit of "DS9": Ongoing story arcs are woven through the first three episodes (and clearly will continue beyond those hours), and its resourceful protagonist has as many challenges in front of her as Sisko often did.
The road to the small screen certainly wasn't easy for Star Trek: Discovery.
Despite being outfitted with some interesting wrinkles, "Star Trek: Discovery" is an unspectacular addition to the existing fleet of "Trek"-branded series".
Even with all that, Discovery is not a poorly executed show by any stretch.
- Futures flat as investors focus on Fed meeting
- Merkel, Schulz at home base on final campaign push
- Turkey's Chief of General Staff Akar meets Iraqi counterpart in Ankara
- China Moves To Limit Fuel, Textile Trade With North Korea
- As Trump Expresses Hope for Peace, PA Considers Unity Agreement with Hamas
- Trump calls North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un a 'mad man'
- Aaron Finch could return for Australia in must-win ODI against India
- North Korea Leader Threatens US With 'Highest Level' Response
- United front sparked fast start, says Mourinho
- European Union to impose more economic sanctions on North Korea