Visitors are being told to leave Hatteras Island because of Hurricane Maria. A tropical storm warning was in effect for a swath of the North Carolina coast from Bogue Inlet to the Virginia border. "During this timeframe, 35-45 miles per hour sustained wind, 1-3" of rain, and 2-4 feet of storm surge will be possible along portions of the coast.
The National Hurricane Center has added a storm surge watch for Kill Devil Hills, Buxton and Manteo to its tropical storm warning.
There's also a storm surge watch in effect from Cape Lookout to Duck.
- The forecast track of offshore Hurricane Maria slightly west last week, bringing a small sliver of North Carolina's coast into the cone of uncertainty.
Some beach erosion will occur along much of the U.S. Atlantic coast with Maria just offshore through this week. Forecasters said waves from the storm are affecting beaches from Florida through southern New England.
They warned risky rip currents were possible in the ocean for the rest of the week.
If that happens, Maria's impacts on Puerto Rico could easily reach $60 billion to $70 billion, Watson said.
As the storm tracks into the North Atlantic at the end of September, some of Maria's rain and wind could brush part of Atlantic Canada.
Hurricane Maria is on its way across the North Atlantic and could hit the United Kingdom at the weekend, forecasters have warned. Those on the Carolina and mid-Atlantic coasts are warned to monitor the storm's progress.
Forecasters said most forecast models agree on this scenario. As the month winds down, two named storms remain in the Atlantic.
The Category 1 storm weakened Monday and became less organized overnight as it moved north into waters cooled by Tropical Storm Jose.
Lee was a tropical storm that fell apart last Monday and regenerated late last week.
Although it's not now predicted to make landfall along the coast, Maria is the third hurricane to affect the USA in the last month.
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Trump blasts McCain over health bill vote
- Champions League: Money doesn't score goals - Robben mocks PSG
- Top smartphones for gaming
- 31st loss to Florida among the worst in losing streak's history
- Caitlyn Jenner Just Confirmed That Kylie Jenner Is Pregnant
- Mount Agung eruption potentially imminent as 50000 flee Bali
- Aaron Finch could return for Australia in must-win ODI against India
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- European Union to impose more economic sanctions on North Korea