Visitors are being told to leave Hatteras Island because of Hurricane Maria. A tropical storm warning was in effect for a swath of the North Carolina coast from Bogue Inlet to the Virginia border. "During this timeframe, 35-45 miles per hour sustained wind, 1-3" of rain, and 2-4 feet of storm surge will be possible along portions of the coast.
The National Hurricane Center has added a storm surge watch for Kill Devil Hills, Buxton and Manteo to its tropical storm warning.
There's also a storm surge watch in effect from Cape Lookout to Duck.
- The forecast track of offshore Hurricane Maria slightly west last week, bringing a small sliver of North Carolina's coast into the cone of uncertainty.
Some beach erosion will occur along much of the U.S. Atlantic coast with Maria just offshore through this week. Forecasters said waves from the storm are affecting beaches from Florida through southern New England.
They warned risky rip currents were possible in the ocean for the rest of the week.
If that happens, Maria's impacts on Puerto Rico could easily reach $60 billion to $70 billion, Watson said.
As the storm tracks into the North Atlantic at the end of September, some of Maria's rain and wind could brush part of Atlantic Canada.
Hurricane Maria is on its way across the North Atlantic and could hit the United Kingdom at the weekend, forecasters have warned. Those on the Carolina and mid-Atlantic coasts are warned to monitor the storm's progress.
Forecasters said most forecast models agree on this scenario. As the month winds down, two named storms remain in the Atlantic.
The Category 1 storm weakened Monday and became less organized overnight as it moved north into waters cooled by Tropical Storm Jose.
Lee was a tropical storm that fell apart last Monday and regenerated late last week.
Although it's not now predicted to make landfall along the coast, Maria is the third hurricane to affect the USA in the last month.
- European Union to impose more economic sanctions on North Korea
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- BHU violence: UP CM Yogi Adityanath orders inquiry
- Parker defends WBO heavyweight crown with Fury victory
- Mauricio Pochettino Praises Derby Hero Harry Kane
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Kushner used private email to conduct White House business
- Trump blasts McCain over health bill vote