"Sometimes the intensity increases, sometimes it decreases, it's hard to tell when the mountain will erupt", said senior volcanologist Gede Suantika.
"Business is getting low since Mount Agung's alert status was raised to the highest level", said Ketut Purnawata, manager of Dasawana Resort, which is in the same district as the volcano, popular with tourists and hikers.
Internal volcanic earthquakes are constant. More than 57,000 people left the area of Agung volcano, who has been active and unsafe since last month. Since then, the volcano has remained pretty active, with its deep crater occasionally belching smoke and ash.
A total of 166 prisoners have been transferred from Karangasem Prison in East Bali for safety reasons, including Australian Bali Nine member Scott Rush and former Sydney man and drug smuggler Michael Sacatides.
"We are monitoring all developments, and if there is an eruption, we are ready", says Riyanto.
Michael Sacatides was among those moved from prison.
How much ash and how long it is emitted would determine the extent of how air travel will be affected downstream of the volcano. President Joko Widodo visited the evacuees in relief shelters on September 26.
However, looking at Agung's volcanic activity, Suantika said the number of tremors has decreased, but the energy level seems to be going up, as magma rises. We don't know what to expect such as earth tremors and earthquakes which we have been told to expect.
Mount Agung's latest rumbles are a spine-chilling reminder for some locals - it erupted around 50 years ago killing more than one thousand people.
Others have adopted a more philosophical view, determined not to let the warning disrupt their holiday. In case of eruption, the authorities' contingency plan includes rerouting flights to five regional airports, including those in the cities of Surabaya and Yogjakarta in Java, ABC News Australia reported.
Some airlines are offering refunds for travellers who want to stay home.
- Kushner used private email to conduct White House business
- Trump blasts McCain over health bill vote
- It's 2017 and Saudi Arabia Will Finally Allow Women to Drive
- Republicans admit latest Trumpcare proposal is dead
- Tax reform specifics expected to be announced at Trump's Indy visit
- Caitlyn Jenner Just Confirmed That Kylie Jenner Is Pregnant
- Penn State defeats Iowa with walk-off Trace McSorley touchdown
- Anthony Weiner jailed for sexting teenager
- "Star Trek: Discovery" explodes out of the gate - but what next?
- Guardiola uneasy over lofty Manchester City comparisons