That was the Frenchman's 100th goal for Arsenal in 233 games, meaning he reached the milestone one game quicker than Robin van Persie (234). However, Scherbitski did make a fabulous, fingertip save to deny Walcott his third - a fig leaf for a terrible display.
Walcott then doubled the lead for the North Londoners in the 22nd minute, courtesy of a goalkeeping howler from the BATE 'keeper.
How Arsenal fans are reacting to the starting XI...
Walcott swung a corner in that Per Mertesacker flicked on and his centre-back partner Rob Holding prodded over the line. By the interval, he might have had a hat-trick after a period in which Arsenal scored three times and hit the post twice.
As a corner was swung in, Shkodran Mustafi looked to be struggling to escape his marker's attentions, but the referee halted play and pointed to the spot.
Giroud is stuck on 99 goals for Arsenal.
Ryas also went close with a fizzing strike from 30 yards out, but the home side finally had their second when some lax marking in the final third allowed Mikhail Gordeichuk to rifle the ball into the roof of the net from three yards out.
Arsen Wenger before the start of the season has already said that the Europa League is uninteresting to him, but even with a disregard for this tournament and the game here semi-duplicating the composition of "Arsenal" should come out of this group. Because of the lesser value of the competition, he chooses to rest the more prominent members of the squad, instead, entrusting youthful exuberance to see the team through.
- Morning Scan Equifax CEO Smith 'retires'; Senators scold SEC chief
- Decision due from USA on Bombardier trade dispute
- Enyimba dismiss link with WAFU Cup winning Ghanaian coach
- Mandatory evacuation for Ocracoke visitors in advance of Maria
- Champions League: Money doesn't score goals - Robben mocks PSG
- Penn State defeats Iowa with walk-off Trace McSorley touchdown
- Steve Scalise Makes Emotional Return to Congress After June Shooting
- Guardiola uneasy over lofty Manchester City comparisons
- Labour promises law to cap credit card debts
- Republicans admit latest Trumpcare proposal is dead