England will qualify for the 2018 tournament in Russian Federation if they win their first of the two qualifiers at Wembley, although Southgate estimated that he had as many as 12 players missing through injury or sheer lack of game time.
Southgate's predecessor Sam Allardyce said at the time the door was open for a short-term return should his services be required but it has now been revealed the 31-year-old turned down such an approach.
Federation Internationale de Football Association have slapped Dele Alli with a ban for his middle finger gesture.
It marks another missed fixture for Alli, who has already missed two Champions League matches this season due to a straight red card in a Europa League match with Gent during the last campaign.
'Our hope, obviously, is that common sense prevails and that he is available for our matches, but we have to wait and see on that'.
While the England faithfuls' patience with the national team is probably at an all-time low, Gareth Southgate has set about trying to restore some glory days back to the Three Lions.
England need just two points to seal their place in next year's tournament in Russian Federation.
Southgate is without as many as 12 players through injury, though, and conceded he would like a stronger squad.
Dele Alli Banned for One England Match Over Finger Gesture
"Old people make mistakes, so young people will do".
"Dele fully understands his responsibilities, he knows that it's something he won't do again".
"It could look like that but, in the end, the most important conversation for me is with the player".
England's players meet at St George's Park on Sunday and Southgate intends to tell them he is not happy about the lack of competition for places.
"He'd run through brick walls for us, no question", said Southgate.
- Deloitte hit by cyber security incident
- Decision due from USA on Bombardier trade dispute
- Oil Prices Hit 2 Year High
- Google pulls YouTube from Amazon's Echo Show as competitive spirit turns nasty
- Disagreement as fourth round of Brexit talks gets underway
- Tiger Woods hopes to return to competitive golf, says future is uncertain
- In Disastrous Megyn Kelly Interview, Jane Fonda's Face Says It All
- NFL players should not protest during the national anthem: Fmr. Patriots owner
- Mourinho hopes Fellaini recovers in 2 weeks for Man United
- OFFICIAL Arsenal XI for BATE