Thakkar said he alerted the local police at 10.34 am but by the time they arrived the bridge was vacated.
According to the Mumbai Police, the hospital needs A -ve, B -ve and AB -ve blood for the injured people.
We have kept the injured persons under observation as a precautionary measure.
"Some had head injuries but most had signs of internal organs being damaged by pressure", said Avinash Supe, dean of the Mumbai's KEM hospital.
A local resident said the station has been overcrowded and decrepit for years.
India's railways, which transport about 23 million people a day over more than 70,000 miles of track, have been neglected for years, and safety standards are unevenly enforced. "Prayers with those who are injured".
Last month, 23 people were killed after a train derailed in a northern city. The Railway Ministry has already been under fire for increaing number of accidents causing deaths across the country, and now with this mishap, things have gone from bad to worse.
"This is a huge dereliction of duty by the Prime Minister", she added.
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has reached Mumbai and ordered a high-level inquiry into the stampede. He has pledged to invest billions of dollars to make railways safer. One estimate is that, during peak hour, there were 5,000 commuters accessing the Elphinstone-station FOB which, with its width of 77 inches (courtesy the original construction during the British Raj), cannot accommodate more than three or four commuters standing sideways at any point of time.
- Deloitte hit by cyber security incident
- Rockstar Games Drops New Trailer For "Red Dead Redemption 2"
- Cops: Teen stabs students at NYC school, 1 dead
- Wilshere coming 'back to his best' - Wenger
- Killer Clown Shot a Woman and Then Married Her Husband, Authorities Say
- Republicans admit latest Trumpcare proposal is dead
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Disagreement as fourth round of Brexit talks gets underway
- Stevens Point goes pink for cancer
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?