However, a tropical system like Maria along the coast will slow down the progress of weather systems back to the west across North America.
USA banks should waive customer fees, ease credit card limits and allow borrowers to make late payments on the islands affected by Hurricane Maria, a top banking regulator said on Wednesday. The ferry from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke will start running again at 1 p.m.
In the Outer Banks, coastal wind gusts could be as high as 60 miles per hour. As Maria moves over cooler waters, weakening is expected and could be downgraded to a tropical storm by the end of the day tomorrow. All Dare County Schools are closed Tuesday.
Although all warnings have been dropped for the East Coast, forecasters said waves stirred up by Maria will pose a threat of rip currents and unsafe surf along beaches for the next day or two.
A storm surge watch is in effect for Cape Lookout to Duck. "We also encourage visitors to leave via Swan Quarter or Cedar Island if at all possible to avoid potential issues on N.C. 12 on Hatteras Island".
Lee is the fifth major Atlantic hurricane of the 2017 season and has so far unleashed 115mph winds.
Hurricane Maria is beginning to turn towards the east, away from the USA coast.
The Trump administration is announcing it will waive federal restrictions on foreign ships' transportation of cargo to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico. Lee is not a threat to the U.S.
According to The Associated Press, Ocracoke Island was evacuated Monday morning at the direction of the Hyde County Sheriff's office. Republicans and Democrats have pushed Trump to waive the Jones Act, saying it could help get desperately needed supplies delivered to the island more quickly and at less cost. Hurricane Lee is just a fraction of that size, with hurricane force winds going out just 10 miles from its center. A portion of NC Highway 12 was shut down yesterday due to water on the road.
The center was 165 miles east of the Outer Banks on Wednesday, but the wind field was quite large; tropical storm force winds extended an average of 210 miles from the center and were reaching into extreme eastern North Carolina.
Forecasters say a turn toward the north-northeast is expected on Wednesday, and a turn toward the east-northeast is anticipated on Thursday.
- Steve Scalise Makes Emotional Return to Congress After June Shooting
- NFL players should not protest during the national anthem: Fmr. Patriots owner
- Killer Clown Shot a Woman and Then Married Her Husband, Authorities Say
- In Disastrous Megyn Kelly Interview, Jane Fonda's Face Says It All
- Rain Kills 22 in Mumbai Train Station
- Google pulls YouTube from Amazon's Echo Show as competitive spirit turns nasty
- Republicans admit latest Trumpcare proposal is dead
- Dele Alli Banned for One England Match Over Finger Gesture
- SJP confirms Sex and the City 3 is 'over'
- Trump 'Not Happy' With Price's Travel, House Dems Call For Resignation