San Juan's mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz has been pleading for help, which culminated in an emotional press conference last night.
Initially, the Trump administration named a one-star general to run USA military operations, then upgraded the command to three-star Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, who headed to Puerto Rico on Thursday.
Trump went on Twitter on Saturday and, in an increasingly familiar theme, first emphasised how means his critics are, saying Cruz was "very complimentary only a few days ago" but "has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump".
"They want everything to be done for them", Trump said.
"Mr. Trump, I beg you to take charge and save lives", she said.
The act, signed by former President Woodrow Wilson, was enacted after World War I in order to help create American jobs and was also seen as an additional line of national marine defense for the U.S.
State Police Superintendent Rick Fuentes said 600 law enforcement and emergency responders from New Jersey will relieve police in Puerto Rico who are struggling with their families to deal with the devastation caused by the storm.
Early this morning, in recognition of the severe impacts on Puerto Rico from Hurricanes Irma and Maria, Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Elaine Duke approved a waiver of the federal Jones Act.
Maria, the most powerful storm to strike Puerto Rico in almost 90 years, wiped out the power and communications systems, making it hard to get food, water and fuel around the island.
As though criticizing Mayor Cruz wasn't crass enough, Trump invoked the racist trope of lazy minorities hungry for government handouts just for good measure. Puerto Rico was totally destroyed'. "This is a people are dying story".
In San Juan, Duke said she was proud of the recovery work being done but she and Trump wouldn't be satisfied until the island was fully functional.
"We are maximizing all of the resources that we have so that we can deliver goods, water food and supplies", he said.
- Dele Alli Banned for One England Match Over Finger Gesture
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Stevens Point goes pink for cancer
- Rain Kills 22 in Mumbai Train Station
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Tiger Woods hopes to return to competitive golf, says future is uncertain
- ICE operation leads to 45 arrests in NY , 500 total nationwide
- Sebastian Vettel: Singapore clash won't change my mindset
- Rockstar Games Drops New Trailer For "Red Dead Redemption 2"
- Judwaa 2 movie review and ratings