The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has arrested a thirty-year-old Edmonton man in connection with a violent crime spree, which saw an EPS officer struck with a auto and viciously stabbed, and four pedestrians deliberately struck with a different vehicle later Saturday evening.
At approximately 8:15 pm Saturday (0215 GMT Sunday) a man in a speeding white Chevy Malibu crashed through police barricades outside Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium, where a Canadian Football League game was being played. The attacker then stabbed the police officer multiple times with a knife.
The police launched a manhunt to catch the culprit and he was pulled over at a police checkpost before midnight on Wayne Gretzky Drive and 112 Avenue driving a U-Haul truck.
A man driving a van went on to hit at least four pedestrians and was arrested two hours later after a police chase.
Austin Elgie, manager of The Pint bar just west of the downtown core, said the truck hit a person in the alley outside his establishment.
The van intentionally swerved at pedestrians in crosswalks, Knecht said. Only with unity, resolve and determination, will our great country defeat terrorism here at home, and around the world.
He confirmed that a Daesh flag had been seized from the vehicle connected with the attack on the police officer. He added the suspect was taken into custody and being interviewed by police.
Knecht said Edmonton police wre working with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's National Security Enforcement Team and other Canadian security agencies.
A police hat and what appeared to be a yellow police vest lay on the ground near the auto.
"There was like 10 cop cars following him".
"It was insane. It just came around the corner, ripping".
One of the two victims was hit hard, but was assisted at the scene by a barmaid who is also a registered nurse.
Premier Rachel Notley tweeted her best wishes to the officer and all EPS members.
The U-Haul ended up on its side a few blocks away outside the Matrix hotel.
A male believed to be thirty years of age, then jumped out of his vehicle and began viciously stabbing the officer with a knife, as a struggle ensued.
- ICE operation leads to 45 arrests in NY , 500 total nationwide
- Republicans Introduce 'SUCCEED Act' to Protect Undocumented Children
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Karlsson back on top ahead of British Masters finale
- Stevens Point goes pink for cancer
- Miami Dolphins injury report: Jay Ajayi continues to deal with knee injury
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Catalonia referendum: Schools occupied ahead of vote
- Marcus Rashford: Manchester United youngster makes defender look foolish
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester