The roll out could get more teenagers on Messenger because it downloads messages more quickly.
The Messenger Lite app came out in October of 2016.
Facebook's apps are infamous for the amount of data and battery they soak up, which has led to some people ditching the social network's ever-growing suite of apps. However, considering the fact that the app consumes a significant amount of data and occupies a lot of space, Facebook also introduced a Messenger Lite app.
Messenger Lite is like a scaled down version of the original Messenger app, without a number of features from the app including the Snapchat-like features and games, which provides for a quicker and more user friendly messaging app.
Still, Messenger Lite could appeal to a certain subset of users with limited financial resources to keep the Internet tap open, a.k.a. teens.
On top of offering its data saving services, the app will also help you save on storage space, as it weighs only 10MB.
Although Messenger Lite was initially created to get people onboard Facebook's platform with entry-level handsets, it has managed to gain traction amongst users looking to get better control of data consumption.
Mr Marcus said people use the apps for different reasons and they are not in direct competition.
Make the most of your data..
Lite version is developed for mobile data-constrained countries and entry-level Android smartphones. Canada, UK, and Ireland after previously being available in over 100 mostly-developing countries.
- FEMA's Long: No time for mayor's 'spout off,' focused on Puerto Rico
- Rangana Herath becomes first left-arm spinner to pick 400 Test wickets
- Sony is preparing a new model of PSVR
- American League Wild Card: New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
- Jong-Nam's murder trial resumes today from the first four witnesses
- Israel denies involvement in Iraqi Kurdistan referendum
- Top 25 roundup: Troy stuns No. 25 LSU
- Iwobi scores as Arsenal beat Brighton on Wenger's 21st anniversary
- OJ Simpson released on parole after nine years in Nevada prison
- Trump Waives Shipping Regulations to Aid Puerto Rico