The roll out could get more teenagers on Messenger because it downloads messages more quickly.
The Messenger Lite app came out in October of 2016.
Facebook's apps are infamous for the amount of data and battery they soak up, which has led to some people ditching the social network's ever-growing suite of apps. However, considering the fact that the app consumes a significant amount of data and occupies a lot of space, Facebook also introduced a Messenger Lite app.
Messenger Lite is like a scaled down version of the original Messenger app, without a number of features from the app including the Snapchat-like features and games, which provides for a quicker and more user friendly messaging app.
Still, Messenger Lite could appeal to a certain subset of users with limited financial resources to keep the Internet tap open, a.k.a. teens.
On top of offering its data saving services, the app will also help you save on storage space, as it weighs only 10MB.
Although Messenger Lite was initially created to get people onboard Facebook's platform with entry-level handsets, it has managed to gain traction amongst users looking to get better control of data consumption.
Mr Marcus said people use the apps for different reasons and they are not in direct competition.
Make the most of your data..
Lite version is developed for mobile data-constrained countries and entry-level Android smartphones. Canada, UK, and Ireland after previously being available in over 100 mostly-developing countries.
- Iwobi scores as Arsenal beat Brighton on Wenger's 21st anniversary
- Arsene Wenger: 'Barcelona playing in Premier League an interesting idea'
- Supreme Court Justices Suggest They'll Split on Workers' Class-Action Rights
- Rock Legend Tom Petty Dies at Age 66
- Eckhaus Latta Will Donate Portion of Sales to Puerto Rico Relief
- Max Verstappen wins the 2017 Malaysian GP
- American League Wild Card: New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
- Jos Verstappen: Max Verstappen needed win after tough year
- Batshuayi's Chelsea career at risk after Conte snub
- Srinagar: BSF camp attack, two terrorists killed, 1 jawan martyred