He reported a loss of power, however, as he drove around the circuit on the way to the grid and was wheeled back into the pits to watch from the sidelines as Red Bull's Max Verstappen raced to his second career win. The victory also makes him the youngest ever victor at the Malaysian GP.
But Vettel may go to Japan with a five-race grid penalty if it is found that his gearbox needs replacing. "I think Sebastian was quick at the end of the race because he ran his race back to front".
Vettel had surprisingly held the upper hand over Hamilton throughout practice but suffered an issue in the final session and required a new engine. According to oddsmakers at Bovada.lv, Lewis Hamilton is the clear favorite to win this race, as he has -200 odds.
"So hopefully from now onwards we can build on this for the rest of the year and then have a good start to next season".
Verstappen's second F1 win means Hamilton extends his championship lead over Vettel from 28 to 34 points with five races remaining.
"I don't know what he felt (for Vettel yesterday)", said Raikkonen.
Yet the mood after Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix was nearly despondent, despite Hamilton finishing in second place and Vettel fourth.
The race started off with Kimi Raikkonen failing to make the start owing to an unfortunate technical problem allowing F1 leader Hamilton to move forward in the race for the championship.
In one of the most weird endings to an F1 race, Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll collide after the chequered flag, wrecking the German's rear left side.
"This auto has been on several occasions the quickest vehicle out there, Monza and Silverstone come to mind where we blew everyone away". Championship contender Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari put up a strong performance to finish fourth after starting last on the grid.
'We need to see now what the problem was.
"We're always going to try and make the fastest race and I don't really know what else".
To add insult to injury (or injury to injury), Vettel was forced to hitch a ride on another auto after he lost his right rear tyre to a collision with Lance Stroll... in the slow-down lap.
"You can see we were running slightly less downforce than the others, we don't have the T-wing here for example, and we have found a very good set-up".
- At least one person killed in Marseille knife attack: police sources
- Trump lashes out at San Juan mayor over Maria response
- Eckhaus Latta Will Donate Portion of Sales to Puerto Rico Relief
- Marcus Rashford: Manchester United youngster makes defender look foolish
- Unions lambast Supreme Court decision to hear mandatory union fee case
- Batshuayi's Chelsea career at risk after Conte snub
- Trump Waives Shipping Regulations to Aid Puerto Rico
- Israel denies involvement in Iraqi Kurdistan referendum
- Two more for Kane as Spurs hit four at Huddersfield
- Catalonia referendum: Schools occupied ahead of vote