The attack assumes significance as it happened near the old airfield, which is manned by the Indian Air Force.
"The attack was very effectively repulsed".
Militants have in recent months targeted police camps in Kashmir.
This is while residents of the area said they heard dozens of explosions and gunfire. He said militants cut the fencing between the extension of Defence Colony and Gogoland to enter into the building. One militant was killed and 3 security personnel were injured in the firing exchange that is still underway.
Indian forces' personnel sealed all the routes leading to the airport while flights were suspended.
The educational institutions in the area were closed for the day by authorities as a precautionary measure.
He said the operation could have been completed quickly by using aerial weapons but it was avoided because of presence of local population.
The identity of the attackers was yet to be ascertained but the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant outfit has claimed the responsibility for the attack. The last year's attack, which caused India to retaliate with surgical strike, was also carried out at 4 AM by the terrorists. "Attack was repulsed successfully", he said. After this, the two remaining militants moved in different directions and took shelter in different buildings before being killed by the forces.
But fire between government forces and a lone surviving suspected militant continued inside the base which shares a common compound wall with the airport, Vaid said. Heavy contingent of security forces including para commandos were engaged in the anti terrorist operation, which was over after all three terrorists were neutralised.
"As long as Pakistan is our neighbour, such attacks will keep happening". He said the attackers had sneaked into India from Pakistan in July-August.
- Sony is preparing a new model of PSVR
- American League Wild Card: New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
- Hey Girl, Here's the First Look at Ryan Gosling Hosting SNL
- Trump Waives Shipping Regulations to Aid Puerto Rico
- PA National Guard troops and helicopters headed to Puerto Rico
- Arsene Wenger: 'Barcelona playing in Premier League an interesting idea'
- Malaysia GP: Lewis Hamilton's sleepless night ends in dream qualifying
- OJ Simpson released on parole after nine years in Nevada prison
- Iwobi scores as Arsenal beat Brighton on Wenger's 21st anniversary
- Batshuayi's Chelsea career at risk after Conte snub