The trio was awarded for their work in the field of gravitation; they discovered ripples in space-time which are observed as gravitational waves which were anticipated by Albert Einstein nearly a century ago. Kip Thorne and Barry Barish will share the other half of the prize.
"Gravitational waves are an entirely new way of following the most violent events in space and testing the limits of our knowledge", the The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, which awards the prize, said in a statement on Tuesday. "You have to make gravitational wave detectors in order to probe this aspect of the universe".
For some time now astronomers are trying to prove Albert Einstein right by following what Einstein thought out of the question perceiving the indistinct ripples in the universe called gravitational waves. He took over as the second director in 1994 at Ligo when the project was close to being canceled.
Subscribe to Times of San Diego's free daily email newsletter! . This remarkable experiment has detected gravitational waves and confirmed that they came from colliding black holes far away from the earth.
Scientists who developed Einstein's work on gravitational waves win Nobel Prize
The discovery ushers in a new era of gravitational-wave astronomy and provides astronomers with a new set of tools to probe the cosmos. These can indicate that the space between the mirrors has been warped, thanks to the influence of gravitational waves rolling past.
On 14th Sep, 2015 the LIGO detectors in U.S. saw space vibrate with gravitational waves, for the very first time.
To detect ripples that tiny, scientists use laser interferometers.
Barry Barish, now professor emeritus of physics at Caltech, joined the project in 1994 and later became the LIGO director. "But if I told him about the discovery of black holes, he would have been absolutely flabbergasted".
Other Nobel Prizes will be awarded over the next few days - chemistry on Wednesday, literature on Thursday, peace on Friday and economics on October 9.
- Jong-Nam's murder trial resumes today from the first four witnesses
- Attack on Security Base in Indian-controlled Kashmir Leaves 4 Dead
- Program that provides thousands of Pennsylvania children with health insurance expires
- Nobel Prize In Chemistry 2017 Awarded For Imaging The Molecules Of Life
- Israel denies involvement in Iraqi Kurdistan referendum
- Iwobi scores as Arsenal beat Brighton on Wenger's 21st anniversary
- Catalonia's Constitutional Crisis Is Just Getting Started
- Terrorists attack BSF camp in Srinagar; 1 terrorist killed, 3 jawans injured
- Rangana Herath becomes first left-arm spinner to pick 400 Test wickets
- Quota-friendly app from Facebook: Messenger Lite