If Musk and Rossello are able to pull something off, Puerto Rico may find a better energy solution amid its misery: A state-of-the-art, renewable, distributed electric system better prepared to take on the needs of the island, and any future disasters. By way of solar power and batteries. It's only a matter of scalability A collaboration between Tesla and other players in the solar energy market could remake Puerto Rico's electrical grid into a showcase of what a solar-based grid system will do for the whole island.
"Such a decision would be in the hands of the PR govt, PUC, any commercial stakeholders and, most importantly, the people of PR", he continued, before responding to claims that installation companies were overcharging for Powerwalls, Tesla's home batteries, to be installed.
In response, the Puerto Rican government appears to be taking Musk's statement seriously.
Upon seeing this, Puerto Rico's governor Ricardo Rossello tweeted back at Musk, writing "Let's talk". Prior issues at Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) are expected to make recovery efforts even more challenging, without outside support. "Puerto Rico could be that flagship project", Rossello said in a tweet. Prior to the hurricane, the island territory of 3.4 million people had $73 billion in outstanding debt. But however you slice it would have to be much, much larger than the Australian system Tesla is now working on.
There's also a big question mark over longevity, because lithium-ion batteries aren't usually used to provide baseload power, which would require frequent charging and discharging. In South Australia, Musk has already made good on his word to solve the country's continual power blackout woes by building the largest lithium-ion battery in the world.
They didn't take long to respond.
We have contacted Tesla for a comment and will update this story once we receive a reply. "To say you could be a full level 5 with just cameras and radar I don't think is possible".
- Netflix raises prices on two of its most popular plans
- Windows Insiders get access to mobile Microsoft Edge and Launcher app
- Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys Odds, Analysis, NFL Betting Pick
- Bump stocks are selling out in the U.S. after Las Vegas shooting
- Netanyahu Slams Palestinian Unity Push - Vows To Expand Settlements
- Program that provides thousands of Pennsylvania children with health insurance expires
- Ford to slash showroom choices in new global strategy
- Ferguson Plc (FERGY) Upgraded by Zacks Investment Research to "Buy"
- Harvey Weinstein faced decades of sexual harassment allegations
- Gunman's secret life stymies investigation — WHAT'S HAPPENING