The Charlottesville statue of the Confederacy's most famous general has become a flash point for clashes between far-right groups, including the Ku Klux Klan and white nationalists, and counter-protesters often known as "Antifa", an anti-fascist umbrella organization.
Spencer, a white nationalist, uploaded a video to social media showing him and a small group of followers carrying tiki torches to the statue.
Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer characterized the rally as "another despicable visit by Neo-Nazi cowards" in a Twitter post.
"We came, we triggered, we left", Spencer said in a tweet. We've been planning this for a long time. Mr. Spencer then boarded a bus, which was followed by police officers "to ensure that the group was leaving the city", according to the statement. You're not welcome here!
White nationalists bearing torches returned to Charlottesville, Virginia, Saturday night. "Go home!" The city is also looking into all of their legal options.
"You'll have to get used to us", he said, "We're going to come back again and again and again". The first event occurred in May, also at Emancipation Park where they protested the city's plans to remove the Lee statue.
Charlottesville was rocked by violence almost two months ago during clashes between white supremacists and counterprotesters. The rally in August, if you recall, drew hundreds of white nationalists, including members of the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazi groups. A 32-year-old woman was killed when a auto plowed into counter-protesters, and two police officers died in a helicopter crash.
At UVa, about 30 students and faculty stood outside UVa President Teresa A. Sullivan's residence, Carr's Hill, and chanted "blood is on your hands" and "all black lives matter".
- Driver detained after pedestrians injured outside London's Natural History Museum
- Arizona Diamondbacks at Los Angeles Dodgers Game 2 score, TV channel
- Protests erupt in Spain over Catalonia's move for independence
- Man Utd's injury concerns mount as Fellaini suffers possible ligament damage
- Trump says USA must 'wipe out' Puerto Rico debt
- Pulisic stars as US boosts World Cup hopes
- England line up friendlies against Germany, Brazil
- Red Sox have look of team ready to be swept against Astros
- Windows Insiders get access to mobile Microsoft Edge and Launcher app
- India v/s Australia 1st T20