After allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein made headlines this week, the Weinstein Company's board of directors have announced his termination. According to the New York Times, three other board directors resigned on Friday as the Weinstein scandal became global news.
The Weinstein Co.'s board of directors fired its co-chairman Sunday.
An attorney for Weinstein didn't immediately return messages Sunday.
Weinstein is one of the most influential producers in Hollywood and has produced hundreds of popular movies over the years.
Known for feature films such as Pulp Fiction and Gangs of NY, the company is now in production on numerous big-budget TV projects, including an adaptation of Les Misérables with the BBC, which Harvey Weinstein was executive producing.
Meryl Streep has taken a firm stance against Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein in wake of the explosive report that revealed nearly three decades of sexual harassment against multiple women. The same statement said that the decision to fire him has been taken in the light of the recent claims. The alleged event is said to have taken place a decade ago.
He and his brother launched The Weinstein Co. They included women in positions ranging from staff workers to known actresses like Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan.
Weinstein's firing came just days after he admitted to behaving inappropriately with some of his female colleagues in the past and apologised for causing them "pain". Meanwhile, many Democratic lawmakers disavowed Weinstein, a major party donor, and pledged to give his campaign contributions to charity. "Though I'm trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go", he said via the statement.
"If everybody knew, I don't believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it", Streep said.
- England line up friendlies against Germany, Brazil
- Iowa State stuns No. 3 Oklahoma 38-31
- Superman Henry Cavill Can't Wait For Justice League Movie To Release
- White Nationalist group returns to Charlottesville with tiki-torches
- Driver detained after pedestrians injured outside London's Natural History Museum
- Red Sox have look of team ready to be swept against Astros
- Man Utd's injury concerns mount as Fellaini suffers possible ligament damage
- California wildfires destroy more than 50 structures
- European courts could decide trade disputes during transition period: PM May
- Demetrious Johnson breaks record with 11th title defense