Jones sought to ensure players that he saw the bigger picture on how the situation is impacting the business side of the NFL.
Jones, who offered for the players to meet with him one-on-one over the new team rule, appeared to cave to Trump when demanding his players not "disrespect the flag". According to ESPN, Jones told the players how protests could damage television ratings and sponsorship for a team estimated to be worth $5bn, factors that could end up affecting the players themselves. Trump tweeted. Trump has faced strident criticism since he told a rally in Alabama on September 22 that any National Football League player who knelt for the anthem should be "fired".
According to the NFL's game manual, players are not required to stand for the anthem; however, it is written that they "should" stand at attention.
Yahoo Sports noted: "With some oddly timed comments after Sunday's loss against Green Bay, Jones basically said players who don't stand for the anthem won't play".
Following widespread protests in the wake of Trump's comments, Jones and the Cowboys knelt before the anthem but then stood during it. That's because the Cowboys owner, apparently under pressure from Trump, said that any Cowboys player who disrespects the flag won't play for the team. Prior to the playing of the anthem at that contest, players stood arm in arm with Jones, other front-office executives, coaches and staff and took a knee. "I like that song", said Scandrick. "He wanted to make sure they knew that".
"We as a team are very much on the page together", Jones said.
President Donald Trump, however, tweeted his admiration for Jones's stance and encouragement of his players to do the same. The union represents workers Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana.
- United States bombers conduct drills off both coasts of Korean Peninsula
- What Are Analysts Suggestions On Energy Transfer Partners, LP (ETP)
- Maryam Nawaz, Captain Safdar appear before accountability court
- Japanese Grand Prix To Be Jolyon Palmer's Last Renault F1 Race
- Novel gene test might 'narrow down breast cancer risk'
- NYC, London police taking fresh look at Weinstein claims
- Challenges and Opportunities for Bank of America Corporation (BAC)
- Walmart is eliminating the wait for a common kind of return
- Las Vegas Gunman Shot Security Guard Before Main Attack
- Assassin's Creed Origins' Season Pass and post-launch content detailed