Peru has clearly forgiven the 59-year-old, who has overseen a stark change of fortunes for the national team.
Facing Colombia in the South America group's final qualifying matches, the opponents scored first. The indirect free kick caught the fingertips of Colombian goal keeper David Ospina on its way in and despite protests from the Colombian team, the goal stood.
Do you think Colombia and Peru agreed to play out the draw in order not to risk their World Cup qualification? La Roja beat Portugal in the semi-finals in a game which went to extra-time before losing 1-0 to a second-string Germany in the final.
"I'm so excited", exclaimed another.
"There is moderation because the World Cup is going to be much more hard and we must build on what was done in Brazil". "Every mistake they [Peru] make, the crowd needs to be all over it - it just adds to the pressure and we need that, we need that at home".
Most Peruvians have never seen their country compete in a World Cup.
And news of the scoreline soon filtered through fast to Lima, so much so that the players were spotted exchanging words late on after Rodriguez was substituted.
"We are going to repeat history", said one such fan.
Although a win for Peru would have given them automatic qualification, had they conceded one more goal they would have been out altogether. We always trust in ourselves, the goal that was Russian Federation.
Fired up from their late goal, Peru players continued an energetic final flourish to the game, only for Falcao to engage in a unusual brief exchange with several members of his opposition.
After consulting with Ricardo Gareca on the Inca bench, the hosts proceeded to stroke the ball casually around their area, with neither team making an effort to break a deadlock that sent Chile out of the finals.
- A Glimpse Into Insider Trading And Ownership At Valero Energy Corporation (VLO)
- Lavrov says Tehran abides by all commitments on Iran nuclear deal
- Lafayette Fire Department holds fire prevention classes in new Fire Safety House
- Walmart is eliminating the wait for a common kind of return
- Day One testimony continues in Jessica Chambers murder trial
- The US Is Leaving UNESCO - Again
- Trump says USA nuke force must be in 'tiptop shape'
- Trump warns it's 'possible' the USA will drop out of Nafta
- What Are Analysts Suggestions On Energy Transfer Partners, LP (ETP)
- Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO) now has an analysts' mean recommendation of 2.4