After the toss was initially delayed as the umpires inspected the condition of the outfield, the players went through their warm-up routines in preparation. However, in a shocking incident, and an embarrassing one at the same time, a stone, reportedly the size of a cricket ball, was pelted at the Australian team's bus while the team was returning after their win on October 10.
A solid week of rain had left the outfield sodden an unsuitable for play with most at the ground resigned to the match being abandoned nearly as soon as they arrived. Arrangements have been made at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket stadium, the venue of the match, to ensure that the match is held without any problem.
"It's disappointing, but circumstances were quite tough for these guys", Warner said. "It has been raining for 21 days in a row now". Groundsmen could be seen frantically spreading sawdust on the wet patches on the outfield.
Earlier, India won the first T20I by nine wickets in Ranchi, followed by Australia's eight-wicket victory in the second T20I in Guwahati.
But any momentum gained from leveling the series was stopped in its tracks.
The three-match T20 series was marred with rains.
The tour was book-ended by the effects of weather, with rain reducing Australia's innings in the first one-day worldwide in Chennai to 21 overs. The frustration was palpable around the stadium as the spectators threw bottles on to the ground the moment the giant screens flashed "Match called off" around 8.23 pm.
Such a shame. The series ends at 1-1.
The Aussies, who lost the Test series in India 2-1 in March, now head into the Ashes, with the first Test against England starting November 23.
Middle order dynamo Glenn Maxwell didn't do his chances any favours with a lacklustre tour.
- The US Is Leaving UNESCO - Again
- Las Vegas Gunman Shot Security Guard Before Main Attack
- I want border-wall funding, green-card reform for DACA
- Lionel Messi vs Ecuador OR Cristiano Ronaldo vs Sweden
- Day One testimony continues in Jessica Chambers murder trial
- Amazon Echo: Alexa Can Tell Voices Apart with Individual Voice Profiles
- Lafayette Fire Department holds fire prevention classes in new Fire Safety House
- Joel Embiid: Philadelphia 76ers agree five-year super-max deal with superstar
- The Nature Conservancy's Statement Regarding the Repeal of the Clean Power Plan
- (JPM) has current market capitalization of $346.4 Billion