Congress and CPI (M) leaders today visited the house of slain police sub-inspector Amitabha Malik, who was killed in a firing allegedly by the supporters of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief Bimal Gurung in Darjeeling.
A sub-inspector was killed and four other policemen were injured yesterday during the search operation when alleged supporters of Gurung fired at them. While the Gurung-led faction, pointed fingers at the police, the leader of the other GJM faction, Binay Tamang, said it is likely that the houses, with nobody inside at the time of the fire, were set ablaze by Gurung's supporters to destroy evidence of wrongdoing. "We returned the fire", he said.
The police have also recovered 500 rounds of bullets, 6 AK47 assault rifles and one countrymade pistol from the spot that was raided. The body had summoned him to be present at the child rights body's headquarters on August 17 for using children in political rallies during school hours on May 29 and June 3 but Gurung remained absconding and in hiding in Sikkim. "If I need to die, I will do so before the people", he had said. They are are claiming that the GJM supremo had links with the Maoists and insurgent groups in the north-east. Thulung is wanted by Darjeeling Police and Assam Police in an arms case. "The state government is responsible for the SI's death".
Tamang has been made the chairman of Board of Administrators of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration by the state's Mamata Banerjee government. "The law will take its own course", he warned.
The region's Nepali-speaking Gorkha community has always been holding protests demanding a separate Gorkhaland state within India to protect their Himalayan culture.
- US, Israel quit UNESCO
- Analysts Showing Optimistic Trends For Intel Corporation
- Arsene Wenger angered by 'scandalous' penalty decision after Watford defeat
- Rafa Benitez on Everton's shortlist to replace Ronald Koeman
- Bank of America Corporation (NASDAQ:BAC) To Report Earnings
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- De Gea and Man Utd hold Liverpool at Anfield
- Antero Midstream Partners LP (NYSE:AM) Lose Value For the Week
- What Is Insider Trading Activity Like At General Electric Company (GE)?
- Wells Fargo & Company (WFC) Scheduled to Post Quarterly Earnings on Friday