Peterson ran for just 81 yards on 27 carries in his brief time with the New Orleans Saints. "It has been hard these last couple of weeks".
Buccaneers starting quarterback Jameis Winston was pulled out of the game after suffering an injury to his throwing shoulder.
"This is the opportunity I've been waiting for", Peterson said.
Big games by Arizona's three "old guys" - Peterson, Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald - nearly weren't enough as backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick rallied the Buccaneers from a 31-0 deficit. The veteran Fitzpatrick, a Gilbert native who played for Highland High School, helped lead the comeback, finishing 22-of-32 for 290 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.
Incredible what a difference one man can make to an National Football League team, especially if that man is Adrian Peterson. "I'm supposed to be booting out and doing some stuff and I just couldn't help but to turn and look".
On the ensuing Arizona drive, Fitzgerald fumbled on a big play and Lavonte David scooped it up and took it to the house.
He said he's had the injury before.
"When I started warming back up on the sidelines, that's when I felt it", he said.
The Cardinals opened the game with touchdown drives of 76, 86 and 95 yards, the first time they've started with three consecutive TDs since 2006, when Kurt Warner was at the controls.
Fitzgerald likely could've been the top guy if this was just another game for Peterson, but he falls victim to a big debut for the new Cardinals star in the backfield.
That set up Adrian Peterson's second touchdown of the game, giving Arizona a 38-20 lead that it certainly needed.
DEEP HOLE: The Buccaneers outscored Arizona 33-7 after falling behind 31-0 early in the third quarter. The home team led 24-0 at halftime and seemed to be rolling.
"I wish he'd have been here 11 years from the beginning", Fitzgerald said, via the team's official website. Before the injury, Winston completed five of 10 passes for 61 yards.
Head coach Dirk Koetter said that X-rays were negative and that Winston would undergo an MRI on Monday.
Cardinals: Cornerback Patrick Peterson left with a quadriceps injury in the fourth quarter.
Tampa Bay lost at Arizona for the second year in a row.
- Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) October 15, 2017Yo Adrian!
- Trump's Campaign Subpoenaed for All Sexual Assault Allegations
- Syrian air defenses hit infiltrating Israeli warplane
- Controversial Fumble Call Dominates Postgame Discussion From Patriots' Win Over Jets
- Suspect in 4 OH slayings arrested
- Bank of America Corporation (NASDAQ:BAC) To Report Earnings
- The Pitts; Chiefs stymied again by Steelers at home
- Possible conflict between Boy and Girl Scouts
- What Is Insider Trading Activity Like At General Electric Company (GE)?
- (Hockey) India, Pakistan qualify for round robin of Asia Cup
- US, Israel quit UNESCO