(Through a spokesperson, Weinstein denied allegations of non-consensual sex.) Twitter briefly suspended McGowan last week as she tweeted about the Weinstein scandal, which prompted another outcry of female solidarity as women boycotted the social media platform to protest its silencing of women's voices.
Milano, probably best known for her role in the 1980s sitcom "Who's the Boss", is not among the accusers. According to Twitter, the hashtag has already been used more than 200,000 times.
The messages kept pouring in not just from women but men too. I said no. He ripped my shirt.
"If you are not at the point where you can share your #MeToo I stand with you", Kelly Douglas wrote. Others shared personal stories. On Facebook, around 7 million people were discussing "Me Too" on Monday afternoon. "I disappeared. #metoo", actress Evan Rachel Wood wrote as part of a series of tweets on her experience. Singer Lady Gaga also tweeted the hashtag. The grassroots campaign has quickly gone viral.
"While about 46,000 people have replied to the original tweet, many more have simply tweeted "#MeToo" themselves, with or without further details about their experiences.
Thousands of women have followed in her footsteps.
Each time this has happened, predatory behavior once shrouded in secrecy, and still tolerated in many settings, has become a little more public.
A similar social media campaign is playing out on Instagram among models who are sharing stories of abuse and harassment in the fashion industry. For others, the sheer volume of posts - the pervasiveness of the issue - was disturbing.
Because I was shamed and considered a "party girl" I felt I deserved it.
One who has long ago made the rain and attractive time in Hollywood is accused of rape, assault, or sexual harassment by many actresses, some well-known, that, since a few days, have chose to break the silence about a behavior that lasts for years.
Let me tell you something.
- Ignyta, Inc. (RXDX) is RA Capital Management LLC's 7th Largest Position
- Suspect in 4 OH slayings arrested
- Analysts Showing Optimistic Trends For Intel Corporation
- Brokers Add To Their Ratings On Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT)
- States sue Trump to preserve Obamacare discounts
- Hungry? Now You Can Order Food Directly Through Facebook
- The Pitts; Chiefs stymied again by Steelers at home
- Bank of America Corporation (NASDAQ:BAC) To Report Earnings
- Antero Midstream Partners LP (NYSE:AM) Lose Value For the Week
- Arsene Wenger angered by 'scandalous' penalty decision after Watford defeat