"Don't try to demon-etise Tamil pride by interfering in Mersal", Rahul Gandhi, vice-president of the opposition Congress party, tweeted Saturday referring to the government's controversial cash ban, the so-called demonetisation, imposed previous year. "The film producer should remove the untruths regarding GST from the film", Union minister Pon Radhakrishnan told on Friday.
Senior BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha on Saturday spoke out on the Mersal row that has triggered a nationwide storm, given that GST was criticised in a Tamil film. These dialogues from the film "Mersal" have affected the GST Scheme which was recently introduced by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
When people came to know that the filmmakers are thinking of editing the scenes which talk about GST after opposition from BJP leaders, people came out in support of makers and started trolling Modi government. Finally, at the last minute the AWBI gave the NOC, but the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) took more time and finally issued a censor certificate a few hours before the film's release on Diwali day.
He had denounced "Joseph Vijay's hate campaign against Modi" in a tweet. India will shine when it speaks.
In a subsequent post, he alluded to the movie Mersal starring popular Tamil actor Vijay.
Murali said, "We conveyed the intent of the film to BJP leaders". This comes after Raja, in an interview to a Tamil channel, said that he watched the film on the internet.
Congress lawmaker Shashi Tharoor quoted Rahul Gandhi's tweet and wrote,"Remember: @INCIndia stands for freedom of expression, in or out of power". Counter criticism with logical response.
In Puducherry, Chief Minister V Narayanasamy came to the defence of the film, saying questions have been "justifiably" raised on the GST and the Digital India initiatives in the movie and there could be no objection to expression of one's views in a democratic set up. "It is ridiculous that the BJP and BJP- led government at the Centre are taking it as a direct criticism and demanding to ban the film and to delete dialogues", said Mr Narayanasamy while talking to newspersons here. It is not a film that expresses opinions against the government either.
- Texas Instruments Incorporated (NASDAQ:TXN) Given "Hold" Rating at SunTrust Banks, Inc
- Conte Laments Chelsea's Injury Concerns, Dismisses 'Stupid' Mourinho Issue
- Top smartphones for gaming
- P&G share price falls as revenue just misses expectations in earnings report
- Adobe Systems Incorporated (ADBE) Saw a 52-Week High
- Gold Star Wife Natasha De Alencar Shares Audio of President Trump's Call
- How Have Independence Realty Trust, Inc. (IRT) Earnings Forecasts Changed?
- Kinder Morgan, Inc. (KMI) Given "Hold" Rating at Mizuho
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Analyst Stock Ratings: EnLink Midstream, LLC (ENLC), Micron Technology, Inc. (MU)