Their innings was finally brought to an end with 169 runs on the board and 9.2 overs still remaining, which in turn handed South Africa a gigantic victory by a margin of 200 runs.
A wicket apiece for Andile Phehlukwayo and Willem Mulder then followed to end any realistic hopes of a Bangladeshi victory as the visitors' top-order was blown away inside the first 15 overs.
Taskin Ahmed also grabbed two wickets for the Tigers. It seemed Bangladesh were headed towards another humiliation and a below-par score of under-100.
Debutant Markram removed both Shakib (63) and Sabbir in the same over and Bangladesh started sinking again.
Markram added 2-18 off three overs with the ball to complete a solid debut.
Winning the toss for the first time in the series, SA captain Faf du Plessis opted to bat first and his openers did not let him down, making 119 in the first wicket.
The Proteas batsmen vindicated the decision as they posted a huge 369/6 from their stipulated 50 overs.
He was compelled to leave the ground, retiring hurt for 91. He was later carried away from the field by teammate David Miller.
Markram was run out, a repeat of his test debut when he was run out for 97, and Du Plessis had to be piggy-backed off the field by a teammate. For Bangladesh, Mehidy Hasan had the best bowling figures of two for 59.
Du Plessis hit 10 fours and a six as he raced to 91 off 67 deliveries, but he pulled up lame while stretching to return for a second run and played no further part in the contest.
The two teams will now turn their attention to the two-game T20I series, scheduled for Thursday and Sunday at Mangaung Oval in Bloemfontein and Potchefstroom respectively.
- Extraordinary Manchester City Can Win Champions League - Napoli Coach
- Chelsea vs Watford: Marco Silva fumes at 'unfair result' after controlling game
- Bungie has detailed some post-launch plans for Destiny 2 on PC
- P&G share price falls as revenue just misses expectations in earnings report
- Dodgers Fans Launch Petitions To Bring Back Vin Scully For World Series
- Kinder Morgan, Inc. (KMI) Given "Hold" Rating at Mizuho
- Wall Street Analysts Forecast 17.9% on Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB)
- Raiders Clinch Late Win Over Chiefs As Marshawn Lynch Is Ejected
- Gold Star Wife Natasha De Alencar Shares Audio of President Trump's Call
- Matic: Mourinho the best I've ever worked with