The auction, "Winning Icons - Legendary Watches of the 20th Century" saw heated bidding between to unknown people, according to the auction house. But then again, her husband was no ordinary man.
The early Rolex Daytonas are the Ferrari 250 GTOs of that bubble (without the fun a vintage Ferrari race vehicle can offer), and if you add the icon that is Paul Newman to the picture, their no sum stopping the most addicted Rolex fanatics.
The stainless steel watch features a crocodile strap and can be seen in countless photos of Newman, who became a serious racing vehicle driver himself thanks to his experience making the movie. The Phillips auction house explains it very clearly, especially the part about how the watch seemingly disappeared in 1984 before popping up again decades later.
The Rolex "Paul Newman" Cosmograph Daytona, as it was presented, topped the previous $11.1 million record sale at Phillips auction. After the movie, he chose to take up the sport of motor racing himself, leading to his wife presenting the Rolex Daytona to him, with the words "DRIVE CAREFULLY ME" engraved on the back.
This past June he made a decision to sell it and give "a big portion" of the proceeds to the Nell Newman Foundation, whose goal is "carrying on her father's legacy of charitable giving, coupled with her passion for the environment", and the Newman's Own Foundation. "If you wind it, it tells pretty good time, '" Cox told the Wall Street Journal. Cox replied saying sorry, he didn't know, as he didn't have a watch.
When asked about what the namesake would think of all this, Cox had a sweet answer. The $17.8 million price tag includes the auction fees.
- Owner of NFL's Texans sorry for 'inmates' comment on protesting players
- Sherri Papini abduction: 911 audio, sketches released
- Harvey Weinstein accuser says producer forcibly performed oral sex on her
- Chipotle shares drop despite launch of queso dip
- Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock's brother Bruce arrested for child porn
- Michael Bay is Producing a 'Dora the Explorer' Movie…
- Robot given Saudi citizenship 'has more rights than women'
- New ransomware known as 'Bad Rabbit' in cyber attack
- Appeals court paves way for undocumented teen to have abortion
- Android 8.1 developer preview download is out: Here's what's inside