World number one Simona Halep put Wednesday's heavy loss to Caroline Wozniacki at the WTA Finals down to a bad day at the office and is already looking ahead to her final Red Group round-robin match as a shot at redemption.
Having hit just four winners in the first set, Garcia would ultimately tally 27 in the second and third. "For me, it was the last match of the season and I knew this, and I just was trying to get the win".
"There is no such a thing as a comfortable player on tour, especially at this tournament", Svitolina said of her success against Halep this year.
She ought to be pleased.
Pliskova led 3-2 in the first set of the early match, but the already-eliminated Ostapenko won the next seven games for a 6-3, 3-0 lead. 'Yeah, but for her, it was also first time. She was reading my game so well.
"It was kind of weird, actually, to be here", she said. "I'm happy to be in the heat of the battle, when I'm fighting and finding a way to come back". Svitolina didn't look too pleased about that as she remarked, 'Really?
The popular Dane will have a hand in who joins her come the weekend, however, for she takes on debutante Caroline Garcia, who produced some dazzling tennis to come back from a set and a break down and beat Elina Svitolina in a contest of high quality, 6-7 (7), 6-3, 7-5.
But while Svitolina played without inhibition, Halep struggled for rhythm.
"On court I was obviously feeling nervous", she said. Even when arriving for her post-match media conference, the Romanian came close to falling when she nearly missed a step. "I think this court is great for the all-around player who can play both aggressive and defense."The sixth-seeded Wozniacki saved the one break point she faced in the fifth game of the second set".
Still, she is not about to let another edition of the season finale - she has now failed to make the last four for three years in a row - be a dampener on her season. "I had very good support, lots of people with Ukrainian flags - it does not always happen, (people) screaming and cheering for me".
- Time Warner Inc. (NASDAQ:TWX) Expected To Report Earnings On Thursday
- Appeals court paves way for undocumented teen to have abortion
- Amazon Key lets delivery people inside your house
- Oh Baby! Pregnant Khloé Kardashian Is Having A…
- Microsoft FY18 Q1 earnings
- Facebook has no plans to make newsfeed changes worldwide
- Flu season is here: Have you gotten your vaccination?
- Stock Soaring to a Recent High: Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)
- Senate kills rule that let customers sue their bank
- Harvey Weinstein accuser says producer forcibly performed oral sex on her